|First appearance||Super Mario Maker (2015)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)|
Yamamura is a male rock pigeon with Mario's emblem on his breast who appears in Super Mario Maker and its Nintendo Switch sequel, Super Mario Maker 2. He is named after veteran Nintendo level designer Yasuhisa Yamamura. He is a companion of Mary O., Undodog, and Nina, frequently appearing alongside them. According to Mary O, Yamamura is a skilled level creator, and Yamamura has a section that includes ten design tips for making better levels. His way of communication is simple coos, but with words in parentheses translating them. According to official bios, Yamamura likes eating edamame (soybeans in the pod), fried chicken, and taking long walks in the park. Yamamura has also created levels that are part of an officially released set of levels, most of them being edited versions of Mary O.'s courses.
As part of the New Year's contest for 2016, Yamamura challenged Mary O. to a level creation contest and won, with his 13% Stars per Play compared to Mary O.'s 7% Stars per Play. As his gift, on January 12, 2016, Yamamura is released as a Mystery Mushroom costume, which can be unlocked by clearing the "Cooooo! (Feat. Yamamura)" Event Course.
In the 3DS port, Yamamura plays the role as instructor teaching the player how to build levels in Yamamura's Lessons and even explaining some elements unlocked in Super Mario Challenge Mode. It is also revealed in the port that Mary O. is the apprentice of Yamamura and he sometimes forgets that Mary O. is not a bird.
In Super Mario Maker 2, Yamamura hosts a game section called Yamamura's Dojo, where he and his assistant Nina provide various tips on building courses.
In addition, Yamamura has a role in Super Mario Maker 2's story mode. He first appears when Mario uses the West Hall Cannon for the first time, giving Mario his first job. His next appearance is when Mario uses the East Hall Doors to get from the second floor to the ground level, where he gives out his second job. Yamamura then appears one final time once the player clears Undodog's second job and inspects the Dry Bones Shell next to Undodog, where Yamamura gives out his third and final job for the Yamamura Shirt.
When story mode and all of Yamamura's jobs are complete, Red Toad builds Mario an ON/OFF Switch that, when hit, opens the topmost window of Peach's Castle. Yamamura then comes out in a similar manner to a cuckoo clock. In addition, he can come out wearing a hardhat.
Super Mario Maker
- "He's a pigeon. That much is clear. For reasons beyond our understanding, he's also a master of Mario course creation. He loves edamame and long walks in the park."
Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS
- Digital manual description: "He is a pigeon, that is for sure. Completely and totally a pigeon. Don't you worry about that! He also happens to be a master of Mario™ course creation. When he's not creating courses, Yamamura enjoys munching on edamame and perching atop statues."
Super Mario Maker 2
- "Coo coo. (I hear you've been busy, Mario.)"
- "Coo coo. (I actually have a job for you.)"
- "Coo. (Good luck.)"
- "Coo. Coo. (Keep it up. I'll try to find you more jobs.)"
- "Coo. (We meet again.)"
- "Coo coo. (I have another job for you.)"
- "Coo. (I do not have any more jobs for you.)"
- Main article: Yamamura's Dojo
Version 3.0.0 update
- "Coo, coo, coo! (With this new update, you can now make your own Super Worlds, which are a collection of up to eight individual worlds!)"
- "Coo coo, coo. Coooo. (Each individual world needs a way to get from the start to the goal, which is the castle. I already did that for you here.)"
- "Coo, coo coo coo. Coo. (Keep in mind that you'll need to set a course in the castle spot for each world to work. Touch the castle or hold to set a course.)"
- "Coo, coo coooo, coo. (You can set other courses, Toad Houses, and Warp Pipes on each world as well.)"
- "Cooo, coo coo. Coo, coo. (From Worldbot in the main menu, you can upload a saved Super World to Course World. You can have only one Super World uploaded at a time, but it can contain up to eight worlds.)"
- "Cooo, cooo coo! (To start over from scratch, use the Reset Rocket and make the Super World of your dreams!)"
- "Coo! Coo coo, cooo. (This is Worldbot! From here, you can play the Super Worlds you create in World Maker and upload them to Course World.)"
Banner from topic for introduce Super Hammer from Japanese website for Super Mario Maker 2
New Year greeting card printable from Nintendo Kids Space
Names in other languages
|Transliteration of the Japanese name|
|Chinese (Traditional)||亞瑪姆拉 (Super Mario Maker 2 in-game name)
歐陽 (Super Mario Maker 2 website)
|Transliteration of the Japanese name|
「歐陽」is a Chinese surname;「歐」is possibly also derived from「瑪利歐」(Mǎlì'ōu, Mario).
- Yamamura appears on the Nintendo 3DS home menu as the thumbnail for the second Super Mario Maker badge group.
- Super Mario Maker: Crash Course Mary O. & Yamamura (Internet Archive: Wayback Machine)