A Rotten Mushroom in the New Super Mario Bros. U style
|First appearance||Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)|
|Effect||Hurts or defeats the player|
- “I bought some mushrooms for a new recipe, but I left them in the car and now they're rotten. Rotten and vengeful. You're going to have to outrun them if you want the reward.”
- —World-Renowned Chef, Super Mario Maker 2
Rotten Mushrooms are purple or magenta mushrooms with a skull shape that appear in Super Mario Maker 2. They replace 1-Up Mushrooms at night, but only for the Ground course theme. However, the descriptions of two Story Mode levels posted by World-Renowned Chef (Begone, Rotten Mushroom! and Rotten Produce) imply that Rotten Mushrooms are Super Mushrooms that have rotted over time and became vengeful. Unlike most mushrooms, Rotten Mushrooms actively pursue the player, even jumping up ledges up to two blocks high to reach them. However, if the player has invincibility from a Super Star, Rotten Mushrooms will evade them instead. Touching a Rotten Mushroom damages the player, similar to a Poison Mushroom, making it a hazardous obstacle. Their skull-like design and role as an "evil" counterpart to "good" mushrooms makes them comparable to Poison Mushrooms, Zombie Shrooms, and Ghoul Shrooms. Additionally, the object filename for the Rotten Mushroom in Super Mario Maker 2's internal data is "Poison Kinoko", which is a partial translation of the Poison Mushroom's Japanese name. The Super Mario World version of the Rotten Mushroom's sprite resembles Bowser's Flames from said game.
Although Rotten Mushrooms can only be placed in Ground night courses, they can be brought into other themes if Yoshi grabs one with his tongue and travels through a Warp Pipe to another area. They display unique behaviors in other themes:
- They behave as normal, albeit upside-down, in the Underground night theme.
- They are slowed by water but jump three blocks high instead of two in the Forest and Underwater themes.
- They bear a small circle of light in the Ghost House and Underwater night themes.
- They are affected by low gravity in the Sky and Airship night themes.
- They are slowed down by lava and poison in the Castle and night Forest themes, respectively.
- They are unaffected by the wind in the night Desert theme.
As Yoshi is only featured in the Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. U game styles, Rotten Mushrooms cannot appear outside of Ground night courses in the Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 game styles.
Super Mario Bros. style
Super Mario Bros. 3 style
Super Mario World style
New Super Mario Bros. U style
|Super Mario Maker 2||PoisonKinoko||Poison Kinoko||Poison Mushroom|
Names in other languages
|Rotten Mushroom; shared with Rotten Mush|
|Dutch||Bedorven paddenstoel||Spoiled Mushroom|
|French||Champignon pourri||Rotten Mushroom|
|Italian||Fungo marcio||Rotten mushroom; shared with Rotten Mush|
|Portuguese (NOE)||Cogumelo podre||Rotten Mushroom|
|From гниль (rot) and гриб (mushroom).|
|Spanish||Champiñón rancio||Rancid mushroom|
- Nintendo HK. (May 17, 2019). 《Super Mario Maker 2 (超級瑪利歐創作家 2)》Direct 2019.5.16. YouTube. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Nintendo Nederland. (May 15, 2019). Super Mario Maker 2 Direct - 16 mei 2019. YouTube. Retrieved May 16, 2019.
- Nintendo Portugal. (May 15, 2019). Super Mario Maker 2 Direct - 15/05/2019. YouTube. Retrieved Sep 22, 2019.
- NintendoRU. (May 15, 2019). Super Mario Maker 2 Direct - 16/05/2019. YouTube. Retrieved May 31, 2019.