|First appearance||Super Mario Galaxy (2007)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020)|
|Effect||Turns Mario or Luigi into Spring Mario or Spring Luigi|
- “Wait, wait, wait. This is a...uhh... A spring, huh? So you wear that? Does it make a big BOING sound when you poke it? Har har!”
- —Lubba, Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Spring Mushroom is an item in Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. It appears as a metallic mushroom with eyes and a bulbous coil for a cap. When obtained, it wraps a spring around Mario or Luigi, turning them into Spring Mario or Spring Luigi, respectively. Spring Mario bounces around instead of walking, although he cannot run and is therefore slower and a lot harder to control than without the mushroom. Spring Mario can also jump a bit higher, and a well-timed jump when Mario hits the ground will make him do a very high jump. Spring Mario can also Wall Jump automatically. Spring Mario will also revert back to regular Mario if he touches water, a Sling Star, or a Launch Star, or takes damage in any way.
Super Mario Galaxy
Beach Bowl Galaxy
The Spring Mushroom is found in the purple coin challenge Beachcombing for Purple Coins, in which some of the coins are high up in the air, requiring the Spring Mushroom to obtain. The player is also intended to use it to reach the upper level of the planet, though this can be reached without it.
Toy Time Galaxy
The Spring Mushroom is used extensively in the first mission, Heavy Metal Mecha-Bowser. Once the powerup has been obtained, the player must do a well-timed jump to get him onto a platform with Sentry Beams. Once Mario gets to the Launch Star at the other side of the planet, he must go through a few more planets before dismantling the boss, Mecha-Bowser, which rewards him with a Power Star. The Spring Mushroom is again used in the third mission, Bouncing Down Cake Lane. He must fight an electric Undergrunt Gunner on a platform high in the air. Despite all of this, it is possible to beat the entire galaxy without using the Spring Mushroom. 
Matter Splatter Galaxy
Here, in Watch Your Step, the mushroom is used in the third area to bounce through clear platforms high in the air; however, this must be done quickly as the ground disappears very fast.
Super Mario Galaxy 2
The item appears again in Super Mario Galaxy 2, where it behaves the same and is exclusively found in the Chompworks Galaxy. In Spring into the Chompworks, a Spring Mushroom is used to bounce over Chomps, and also to spring up a tower, much like in the original game's Matter Splatter Galaxy. However, it is possible to skip using it for the duration of the mission.
Super Mario series
Super Mario Galaxy 2
- North American website bio: "That's a wrap! This metallic mushroom coils around Mario, turning him into Spring Mario. With it, he can time his jumps for extra height, and bounce off of walls to wall-jump with the greatest of ease."
Super Mario 3D All-Stars
- North American website bio: "Increase Mario’s already impressive jumping abilities and spring high into the air."
Names in other languages
|French||Champignon ressort||Spring Mushroom|
|Italian||Fungo salterino||Jumpy Mushroom|
|Portuguese||Cogumelo Mola||Spring Mushroom|
|Spanish||Champiñón Boing||Boing Mushroom|
- Mayro (February 13, 2018). Bouncing Down Cake Lane WITHOUT Spring Mushroom! (Super Mario Galaxy Challenge). YouTube. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- supermariogalaxy.com. May 28, 2010 snapshot via Wayback Machine.