- This article is about the moles specifically from Super Mario Galaxy. For the recurring moles introduced in Super Mario World, see Monty Mole. For the recurring enemies introduced in Super Mario Bros. 3, see Rocky Wrench.
Model of a Monty from Super Mario Galaxy.
|First appearance||Super Mario Galaxy (2007)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020)|
Montys, also referred to as Rocky Wrenches, are enemies that appear in Super Mario Galaxy in Battlerock Galaxy, Gusty Garden Galaxy, and Dreadnought Galaxy. They are moles that wear blue, striped bandanas and wield wrenches as their method of attack, making them analogous to both Monty Moles and Rocky Wrenches.
Montys attack by throwing wrenches at Mario or Luigi, like Rocky Wrenches from other Super Mario titles. They retreat into their bunker if the player approaches them, re-emerging as the player moves away. When a Monty is at the surface, the player can either shoot a Star Bit at it or perform a Ground Pound nearby to knock the Monty over, making it susceptible to any attack, such as stomping or spinning.
Screenshot from Super Mario Galaxy
Two Montys in the Battlerock Galaxy
Mario next to a Monty's hatch in the Dreadnought Galaxy
Names in other languages
|Abbreviation of「モグラ」(mogura, mole)|
|French||Mogu||Same as in japanese|
Same as Undergrunt
- The internal file name for the wrench Montys throw is "MoguStone," suggesting that they may have originally been intended to throw rocks, similarly to the Monty Moles in Super Mario 64.
- "Mario begins his journey on the outer rim of Battlerock Galaxy, standing on a trio of discs. The second and third discs in the collection are dominated by two pesky Montys, molelike creatures that pop above and belowground to hassle the hero. To defeat a Monty, ground pound right next to its hole just as the baddie shows its head. The Monty is flipped upside down, its little feet wiggling in the air. Spin next to the Monty to knock it out of its hole and earn some Star Bits." Black, Fletcher. Super Mario Galaxy PRIMA Official Game Guide. Page 110.
- English Super Mario Galaxy entry on the official Mario Portal. nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved August 13, 2022. (Archived August 12, 2022, 23:39:09 UTC via archive.today.)
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario Galaxy section, page 128.
- Super Mario Galaxy PRIMA guida ufficiale, pag. 110
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 128