Official artwork of a Homing Chomp
|First appearance||Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)|
Homing Chomps (also known as Silver Chomps) are a type of Chomp in Super Mario Galaxy 2. They resemble giant silver Chomps with yellow rings around their eyes, much like the Chain Chomp's design in Super Mario Sunshine, and red irises and pupils, which are constantly rolling around out of sync with each other. Unlike other Chomps, Homing Chomps always roll towards Mario or Luigi and try to hit him.
A single Homing Chomp first appears in the Rolling Masterpiece Galaxy at the end of the mission Silver Chomp Grudge Match. One later appears in the Slipsand Galaxy in the mission Sailing the Sandy Seas. Four Homing Chomps later appear in the Battle Belt Galaxy on the final planet in Mini-Planet Mega-Run and Mini-Planet Daredevil Run.
An extremely large Homing Chomp appears in the E3 2009 trailer of Super Mario Galaxy 2, though it never made it into the final game. In the trailer, it seems to be acting similarly to Sorbetti during the boss battle in the Freezy Flake Galaxy. Within the game's "ObjNameTable" file, there is a removed "WanwanSearchBig" entry, which is likely a remnant of this.
|Super Mario Galaxy 2||ObjectData/WanwanSearch.arc||WanwanSearch||Transliteration of below|
|Super Mario Galaxy 2||SystemData/ObjNameTable.arc/ObjNameTable.tbl||ワンワンサーチ (Wanwan Sāchi)||Chomp Search|
Names in other languages
|French||Chomp argenté||Silver Chomp|
|German||Rollender Kettenhund||Rolling Chain Chomp|
|Italian||Caccia Categnaccio||Hunting/Homing Chomp|
|Spanish (NOE)||Chomp Buscador||Searching Chomp|
- English Super Mario Galaxy 2 entry on the official Mario Portal. nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved August 13, 2022. (Archived August 12, 2022, 23:39:46 UTC via archive.today.)
- Browne, Catherine. Super Mario Galaxy 2 PRIMA Official Game Guide. Page 25.
- TCRF. Super Mario Galaxy 2/Removed Objects. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved June 6, 2022.
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario Galaxy 2 section, page 159.
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 159