|First appearance||Super Mario 3D World (2013)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (2021)|
- “Those Skipsqueaks will match you jump for jump. Don't let 'em get the best of you!”
- —Name Withheld by Request, Super Mario Maker 2
Skipsqueaks are mouse-like enemies that appear in Super Mario 3D World and reappear in its Nintendo Switch port Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. Their name is a portmanteau of "skip" and "pipsqueak".
Super Mario 3D World / Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
In Super Mario 3D World and its Nintendo Switch port Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Skipsqueaks constantly run on moving platforms going in the opposite direction, causing them to remain in one place. They also jump up periodically while shouting "chu!", and are usually found in groups of two or more. Skipsqueaks can be defeated by using any form of attack, including a jump attack. They appear in the levels Really Rolling Hills, The Bowser Express, Grumblump Inferno, and Rainbow Run.
In the Bowser's Fury mode, new cat variations featuring cat ears and a tail appear, and are known as Cat Skipsqueaks. They act the same as normal Skipsqueaks. Cat Skipsqueaks appear exclusively on the Slipskate Slope island, found on rotating tunnels that appear there.
Super Mario Maker 2
Skipsqueaks and Spiny Skipsqueaks reappear as enemies that can be placed in Super Mario Maker 2 stages in the Super Mario 3D World style. Skipsqueaks jump whenever Mario jumps, and run in place to keep up with Conveyor Belts. If a Skipsqueak is pushed away from its starting point, such as by a Thwomp or Track Block, it will run back towards its starting point and even Triple Jump over obstacles to get there. If it cannot pass an obstacle, it will give up and look tired, and then resets its movement pattern from its new location. Skipsqueaks also appear in Story Mode, in the level Skipsqueak Towers.
Super Mario Maker 2
- North American website bio: Skipsqueaks like to try and match Mario’s jumps. Sometimes you can use that to your advantage!
Super Mario 3D World (stamp)
My Nintendo New Year 2020 wallpaper
A Skipsqueak in Super Mario Maker 2
A Cat Skipsqueak in Bowser's Fury
|Super Mario 3D World||content/ObjectData/Runner.szs||Runner||-|
Names in other languages
|From「ぴょん」(pyon, onomatopoeia for bouncing) and「チュウ」(chū, onomatopoeia for a mouse's squeaking)|
Tiào tiào shǔ
|French||Mulhop||From "mulot" (fieldmouse) and "hop"|
|German||Hopsmaus||From "hopsen" (to jump) and "maus" (mouse)|
|Italian||Saltopo||From "salto" (jump) and "topo" (mouse)|
|From "폴짝폴짝" (poljjak-poljjak, onomatopoeia for hopping) and "찍찍" (jjik-jjik, onomatopoeia for squeaking)|
|Portuguese||Ratimbanco||From "rato" (mouse) and "saltimbanco" (acrobat)|
|From "попрыгун" (poprygun, jumper) and "мышь" (mysh, mouse)|
|Spanish (NOA)||Ratoncín saltarín||Little Jumping Mouse|
|Spanish (NOE)||Ratipoing||From "ratón" (mouse) and the onomatopoeic term "boing"|
- Nintendo HK (May 17, 2019). 《Super Mario Maker 2 (超級瑪利歐創作家 2)》Direct 2019.5.16. YouTube. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Nintendo Nederland (May 15, 2019). Super Mario Maker 2 Direct - 16 mei 2019. YouTube. Retrieved May 16, 2019.
- Nintendo Portugal (May 15, 2019). Super Mario Maker 2 Direct - 15/05/2019. YouTube. Retrieved Sep 22, 2019.
- NintendoRU (May 15, 2019). Super Mario Maker 2 Direct - 16/05/2019. YouTube. Retrieved May 17, 2019.
- mabelandtee (June 3, 2020). i love spanish now #SuperMarioMaker2 #NintendoSwitch. Twitter. Retrieved June 3, 2020.