Captain Toad's Adventures
Captain Toad's Adventures are a series of courses introduced in Super Mario 3D World, starring the titular Captain Toad as he goes through puzzle-based areas to obtain Green Stars. In these courses, Captain Toad is the only playable character, and he cannot jump, roll, or use any other move that Mario and his friends can use other than running. His stages also do not feature power-ups, but he can return to his normal size by collecting a Super Mushroom if hit by an enemy. If Captain Toad is defeated, one life is lost. The courses are single player only and can only be played when using the Wii U GamePad. The courses are unlocked from the start, but Enemy Battles or general map environments can make them inaccessible. The courses are available in World 1 and every second world after it, with the exception of the final course, which is found in World Crown instead of World Flower. Some of the levels include the Captain Toad theme from Super Mario Galaxy. The course ends when all of the Green Stars in that course are collected. This concept was later used to develop Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.
These levels make a return in the enhanced Nintendo Switch port, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, where they can now be played with up to four players, with additional players playing as the members of the Toad Brigade.
|Level number||Level name||Preview||Description|
|World 1-Captain Toad||Captain Toad Goes Forth||The Captain Toad course of World 1. This course is a grassy mountain with Biddybuds.|
|World 3-Captain Toad||Captain Toad Makes a Splash||The Captain Toad course of World 3. It features water and a Rammerhead.|
|World 5-Captain Toad||Captain Toad Plays Peek-a-Boo||The Captain Toad course of World 5. This stage contains Boos, Peepas and Touch Screen Platforms.|
|World Castle-Captain Toad||Captain Toad Gets Thwomped||The Captain Toad course of World Castle. It is a fortress surrounded by lava, and contains some Thwomps, Bullet Bills, and Conveyor Belts.|
|World Star-Captain Toad||Captain Toad Takes a Spin||The Captain Toad course of World Star, set in space. Here, P-Switches are used to spin the cube the level is set in. Fizzlits also stick to its sides.|
|World Crown-Captain Toad||Captain Toad's Fiery Finale||The Captain Toad course of World Crown. Lava rises and falls here as in Simmering Lava Lake. A single Fire Piranha Plant attacks from the center.|
Super Mario 3D World
- Instruction manual description: "Guide the intrepid Captain Toad through these courses to collect five Green Stars, changing the camera angles and manipulating the terrain as you go."
- The concept for Captain Toad's Adventures was originally pitched to Nintendo as a tech demo featuring Link traveling through a series of small stages. Although rejected, the concept was reworked into Super Mario 3D World, and later into Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.
- ^ https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/downloads/manual-WiiU-Super_Mario_3D-World.pdf
- ^ https://twitter.com/supermario_uk/status/1351877666161491968?s=21
- ^ McWhertor, Michael (August 7, 2018). Where Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker came from. Polygon. Retrieved February 22, 2021.