Lighthouse (Bowser's Fury)
|First appearance||Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (2021)|
Lighthouses are tall towers topped with cat ears that appear in the Bowser's Fury campaign of Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. For each of the twelve major islands across Lake Lapcat, there is one lighthouse, colored according to the region denoted by the Giga Bells. All lighthouses are initially corrupted by the black goop seen throughout Lake Lapcat and covering Fury Bowser. While corrupted, their tops are covered in goop, and they emit a purple aura.
The first mission of many islands is titled "Make the Lighthouse Shine", and involves collecting a Cat Shine typically found at the end of an obstacle course. Regardless of the mission's title, collecting the first Cat Shine on any island with a lighthouse will cause it to fill the lowest of the five indicators stacked on the body of the lighthouse. The power of the Cat Shine then causes the lighthouse to activate, removing the goop and turning on the oscillating light at its top. Collecting another Cat Shine in the area will cause another indicator to be filled relative to the position of the Cat Shine in the heads-up display, with the rightmost one filling the top indicator.
If more than one Cat Shine is collected in an area without leaving, the activated lighthouse will simply emit a stronger light. However, if Mario leaves the boundaries of the island without collecting all five Cat Shines, the lighthouse will be corrupted again when he returns.
By removing the goop from a lighthouse, a small compartment will open on its front that reveals a Clear Pipe, which Mario can enter to take him to the top with a small observation platform. The first several times he does this, text will appear in the form of messages from the lighthouse, usually offering gameplay tips or hints. Lighthouses do not have unique messages, as Mario can see multiple messages from the same lighthouse if he leaves and returns to its island, but they appear in a set order. Additionally, a yellow glowing spot is present on the tops of all activated lighthouses; if Mario Ground Pounds or claw dives at it, it will reveal a random power-up.
If all five Cat Shines of an island are collected, a Fling Pole appears on top of the lighthouse, with a golden sparkling flag containing Mario's emblem. This flag remains on the lighthouse permanently, and it does not become corrupted again. The lighthouse also no longer has a glowing spot on its top.
When Fury Bowser is active, collecting a Cat Shine to increase the power of the nearby lighthouse will cause him to shield his eyes and retreat to the Fury Sun, ending his rampage prematurely. If a Cat Shine not associated with any lighthouse is collected, its light will still achieve the same effect.
List of lighthouse quotes
- "This lighthouse wants to bring something to light. That splotchy goop will vanish under the light of a Cat Shine. But some of those Cat Shines are a bit shy... If you can't find one, try looking on another island. Islands with lighthouses are usually hiding something. Get to a high-up spot, and look for one nearby!"
- "This lighthouse has some light news for you. Collecting coins can be worth your while! You'll get a power-up each time you collect 100 coins. You can store up to five of each power-up too! That's sure to come in handy during your adventure. Grab some coins, and pocket a few extra power-ups!"
- "Here's a light hint from this lighthouse... If you want to avoid the beast's fury blasts, find some cover to hide behind. There are also special blocks on each island that can only be broken by fury blasts. Try to find them when disaster strikes. They may be hiding something!"
- "This lighthouse wants to shed some light on something... Do you know about snapshot mode? It's a great way to capture memories during your adventure! Just press to freeze the action and take some snapshots."
- "This lighthouse has a light suggestion for you... If you've saved up some extra power-ups, you can use them by pressing or . And if you hold or , you'll use a power-up right away! If you're ever in a pinch, use those power-ups!"
- "This lighthouse just had a bright idea! Have you tried using amiibo? If you hold and tap an amiibo to your controller, you can get items or cause special things to happen! Check the guides section of the menu to learn more."
- "This lighthouse has one final tip for you... Have you checked the guides? They'll show you how to perform special actions, offer useful information, and teach basic info about how to play. Visit the menu and select guides. You might learn something new! That's all the lighthouses have to say. Thanks for listening! They hope they helped!"
Names in other languages
Neko no Tōdai
- supermario35th (February 16, 2021). 【フューリーワールド】それぞれの島にそびえたつ「ネコの灯台」。ネコの国を一望できますので、冒険の合間に登ってみてください。冒険のヒントを教えてくれることもありますよ。#スーパーマリオ3Dワールド #フューリーワールド (Tweet) – via Twitter. Retrieved March 22, 2021. (Archived February 16, 2021, 00:00:26 UTC via Wayback Machine.)