- This article is about the item that appears in Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. For the item that appears in Super Mario Bros. 2 and its remakes, see Cherry. For the Bros. Item in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time that has similar effects, see Copy Flower.
- “Lickety-split! This power-up helps you divide and conquer. Duplicate your character up to five times! There is power in numbers, so the more, the merrier, right?”
- —Play Nintendo
|First appearance||Super Mario 3D World (2013)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (2021)|
|Effect||Creates a double of the player.|
The Double Cherry is an item first appearing in Super Mario 3D World. The Double Cherry's conception comes from the result of a mistake made by a staff member with the placement tool, which created two player Marios. The staff thought it was a good idea and decided to implement it in the game.
Super Mario 3D World / Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Double Cherries first appear in Super Mario 3D World and return in its Nintendo Switch port. When characters grab this item, a clone of themselves appears and says a short phrase depending on who picked it up. The clones keep the original characters' state (for example, Fire Mario gets a clone that also has a Fire Flower), power-ups affect all of them, and they all move identically. The clones can be used to activate certain switches and platforms. There can be up to five clones at one time. If players hit question blocks that contain Double Cherries when five doubles exist, a coin will come out instead. The clones disintegrate if harmed or if they fall too far behind, and they all disappear when the player grabs the Goal Pole, awarding 1,000 points per clone. The players can also ground-pound on other players to steal their double power.
Mario Kart series
Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
In Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, a Double Cherry can be seen on the redesigned Tropical Grocery logos. The Cherry Cup, whose emblem is represented by a Double Cherry, appears in Wave 5 of the Booster Course Pass.
Mario Kart Tour
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Double Cherries also appear in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and its Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS ports, acting just like they did in Super Mario 3D World. They are featured in puzzle-based levels, where the player must control two or more Captain Toads at the same time.
Super Mario 3D World
- Instruction manual: Adds another Mario to your team.
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
- Instruction manual: Collect one to create a copy of Captain Toad.
Tropical Grocery, a sponsor in Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart Tour
Pictogram of two cherries used to represent the Double Cherry in a video about Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury power-ups on the Play Nintendo YouTube channel
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Dubbele kers||Double Cherry|
|French||Double cerise||Double cherry|
|Italian||Doppia ciliegia||Double cherry|
|Portuguese||Duplicereja||From duplicar ("duplicate") and cereja ("cherry")|
|Spanish||Duplicerezas||From duplicar ("duplicate") and cerezas ("cherries")|
- Play Nintendo (April 30, 2022). Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury 😸🔥 10 Power-Ups! | @Play Nintendo. YouTube. Retrieved May 30, 2022.
- Nintendo HK官方頻道 (January 13, 2020). 《超级马力欧 ３Ｄ世界 ＋ 狂怒世界》介绍视频（简体中文） YouTube. Retrieved January 16, 2021.
- Nintendo HK官方頻道 (January 13, 2020). 《超級瑪利歐 ３Ｄ世界 ＋ 狂怒世界》介紹影片（香港） YouTube. Retrieved January 16, 2021.