- This article is about the item in general. For other uses of the word "boomerang", see Boomerang (disambiguation).
Icon of a Boomerang from Dr. Mario World
|First appearance||Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (2021)|
|Effect||Defeats enemies or hurts Mario|
- “What goes around comes around, and Bowser's really got it coming for him—that's called karma. Snag objects with a boomerang, or hit enemies from far away.”
- —Play Nintendo
Boomerangs are a type of weapon that has made numerous appearances throughout the Super Mario franchise. When thrown, a boomerang flies forward, harming any enemies in its path, then returns to the user. Boomerangs are the weapon of choice of the Boomerang Bros., but they can also be used by Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Toad, Toadette, and Rosalina upon grabbing a Boomerang Flower.
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
A special blue boomerang makes an appearance in some of the World-e levels of Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3. When thrown, this boomerang briefly flies forward before turning around, though it only does so once; as such, Mario must catch it (by holding ) if he hopes to re-use it. It defeats most enemies it hits, but some like Magikoopas will deflect the boomerang, leaving it on the ground for Mario to pick back up, or in some cases pass through them like Bowser and his statues. Additionally, if Caped Mario is holding a boomerang, he jumps high as if he is on Yoshi rather than fly. The boomerang disappears upon level completion, much like a Goomba's Shoe.
Certain Boomerang Bros are also shown using these boomerangs in Slidin' the Slopes, Bowser's Last Stand, and Bowser's Airship 2, and if they are defeated while one of their boomerangs is out, it drops for the player's use.
There is also an e-Reader card released only in Japan that uploads this boomerang to the player's inventory, allowing Mario to use it in any stage.
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Boomerangs appear in Paper Mario: Sticker Star as stickers that are sometimes dropped by Boomerang Bros upon defeat. When using the sticker, Mario tosses a boomerang that strikes all enemies in its path.
The Boomerang can also be added to the Sticker Museum as #93, alongside other enemy-based stickers.
Super Smash Bros. series
Boomerangs appear as items in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The boomerang that appears in these games is said to be and designed after the one used by Boomerang Mario in Super Mario 3D Land. They function like standard boomerangs in that they are thrown to attack opponents and return to the thrower, though for every time the player catches it, the boomerang's attack becomes stronger.
Mario Kart series
Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
In Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, racers can get a boomerang to throw up to three times, via a Boomerang Flower. Opponents can steal one by pressing while near one, boosting into a boomerang holder with a Mushroom, or, only in the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe version, using a Boo.
A single blue boomerang with a red stripe appears on the logo for the sponsor Boomerang Bros. International Airlines, though the color changes in some of the logo's variations.
Mario Kart Tour
The boomerang returns in Mario Kart Tour as part of the Boomerang Flower special skill. The boomerang now orbits the user's kart twice before flying off. It can also collect coins and destroy track hazards. Boomerang Bro's boomerang appears in his trick animations.
Super Mario Party
Dr. Mario World
Boomerangs were added as items in the 1.3.0 update for Dr. Mario World. When used, they clear out a selected row hitting everything in it once. Unlike other objects that travel in a path, they are not obstructed by Empty Blocks. Of the in-stage items, this is the only one that is not available as a VS reward and much rarely as a prize in events, as the main means of obtaining them are either through the Boomerang Pack in the shop or as an offer for Diamond when the player frequently failed a stage in stage mode. If players do not have any more free uses of this item, a price of 12 diamonds is required to use it.
Profiles and statistics
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
- Item description: Sometimes dropped by Boomerang Bros. Provides a boomerang that hits all foes in its flight path.
- Sticker Museum description: A boomerang beloved by the Boomerang Bros. Put your elbow into it to get some force into your throw!
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- Appears in:
- 3DS Super Mario 3D Land (11/2011)
- Boomerang Mario would use this item to collect faraway items and defeat distant enemies. In Smash Bros., it can be thrown up, down, left, or right. If you throw it, you can catch it again on the return trip. The boomerang gains power with each throw, so try to keep catching it! (American English)
- As thrown by Boomerang Mario! He used this to hit enemies and collect faraway items. Here, though, you can throw it up, down or to the side, then touch it when it flies back to catch it. Simple! And as long as you don't drop it, it'll get more and more powerful with every throw, so make sure you do catch it, all right? (British English)
Names in other languages
回旋镖 (Dr. Mario World)
迴旋鏢 (Dr. Mario World)
- Play Nintendo (April 30, 2022). Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury 😸🔥 10 Power-Ups! | @Play Nintendo. YouTube. Retrieved May 30, 2022.