Advance Coins, also known as Ace Coins or A-Coins, are special coins that appear exclusively in Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3. They appear only in the new World-e levels. They are similar to Ace Coins in appearance, except yellow instead of red. Unlike Ace Coins, they spin before being collected.
Each level in World-e contains one to five Advance Coins. If Mario or Luigi collects all the Advance Coins in a level, he earns an extra life, similar to the functionality of Dragon Coins or Ace Coins. There are 147 Advance Coins in total.
If the player accumulates enough Advance Coins, they can enter any of three special World-e Toad Houses, where they can play an exclusive mini-game. The player must collect 30 Advance Coins to access the Blue Mushroom House, 50 for the Red Mushroom House, and 80 for the Orange Mushroom House. Because a limited number of levels was released outside Japan, players using a non-Japanese version of the game can collect a maximum of only 49 Advance Coins and are therefore unable to enter the final two Toad Houses. However, the game's Wii U and Nintendo Switch releases make all World-e levels available by default, avoiding this problem.
Names in other languages
- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 English instruction booklet. Page 36.
- Peterson, Erik. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 Player's Guide. Page 17.
- Hodgson, David S J. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 111.
- Nintendo of America (February 8, 2023). Nintendo Switch Online - Game Boy & Game Boy Advance Announcement - Nintendo Direct 2.8.2023. YouTube. Retrieved February 8, 2023.
- Super Mario Advance 4 Japanese instruction booklet. Page 32. nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved March 24, 2020.