e-Coins are a rare type of coin found only in World-e of Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3. As only eleven levels of World-e were initially released outside the Japanese version of the game, only three e-Coins are obtainable across these eleven levels. However, as the Virtual Console release of the game on the Wii U includes all levels from World-e, all versions of the game on the Wii U contain all eight e-Coins.
Each e-Coin features the e-Reader "e" on one side, which is shown in levels; the other side contains an image of a character or power-up. Each e-Coin can be collected only once by Mario or Luigi before being displayed in the e-Coin Castle, where e-Coins reside in individual frames, displaying their unique image, with their levels of origin listed underneath. Any e-Coins found within blocks or under grass tufts are replaced by 1-Up Mushrooms in their respective levels.
Besides display and completion, e-Coins serve no functional purpose, and there is no reward for obtaining one or all of them.
e-Coins and levels
- Mushroom e-Coin: Vegetable Volley
- Super Leaf e-Coin: Doors o' Plenty
- Starman e-Coin: The ol' Switcheroo
- Toad e-Coin: Ice Dungeon
- Mario e-Coin: Caped Escape
- Princess Peach e-Coin: Koopaling Confusion
- Luigi e-Coin: Rich with Ropes
- Fire Flower e-Coin: Puzzling Pipe Maze
- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 Prima's Official Strategy Guide back cover.