- This article is about the item in Wrecking Crew. For the item in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, see List of clothing in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team § Golden Hammer. For the item in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, see List of clothing in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam § Golden Hammer.
- Not to be confused with Gold Hammer.
|First appearance||Wrecking Crew (1985)|
|Latest appearance||Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (2018)|
The Golden Hammer is an item that appears in Wrecking Crew. It is a stronger version of the hammer the player normally carries that the player can swing faster, can break walls in a single hit, and can also attack enemies to send them to the bottom of the screen. It also appears in the Super Smash Bros. series as a stronger version of the Hammer item.
Some other hammers in the Super Mario franchise, namely the hammers used in the Mario Party minigame Bash 'n' Cash and the Mario Party 2 minigame Lights Out and the Ultra Hammer in Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, resemble the Golden Hammer.
In Wrecking Crew, to obtain a Golden Hammer, the player must swing their hammer a number of times so that the number of swings plus the stage number divided by eight leaves a remainder of one; the earliest a Golden Hammer can appear is the Phase 4. In addition, the player must also strike a certain bomb to obtain the hammer. While using the Golden Hammer, the player can also temporarily hover in midair by pressing and fast enough.
Super Smash Bros. series
The Golden Hammer appears as an item in the Super Smash Bros. series starting with Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It acts similar to the Hammer from previous Super Smash Bros. games, based on the Hammer in Donkey Kong. It stands on a pedestal, and when picked up, the player starts swinging the hammer up and down. It is swung faster than a normal Hammer, each hit does 30% damage, and it launches characters at a more horizontal angle than a regular Hammer. In addition, repeatedly tapping the attack button will allow the player to float in mid-air while holding this item, like with the Golden Hammer in Wrecking Crew and unlike the normal Hammer. Although the head does not fly off like the regular Hammer, it can instead become a Squeaky Hammer. The Squeaky Hammer will only squeak if it hits someone instead of doing damage. However, it can still allow the player to float in midair.
The Golden Hammer can also be used to open most challenge windows in Challenges. In Brawl and 3DS / Wii U, they can be earned by completing challenges that have windows containing Golden Hammers; in Ultimate, they can be earned by completing a certain number of challenges. There are five Golden Hammers in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, three per panel in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, and nine in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Golden Hammers cannot break windows that pertain to specific challenges in the NTSC versions of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and all versions of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Golden Hammer
- NES Wrecking Crew
- A hammer that glows with golden light. It's easier to swing than a normal hammer, and more powerful too. If you tilt the Control Stick and press the attack button repeatedly, you float in midair. It's a very powerful item, but one that rarely appears. There's also a Golden Squeaky Hammer that does absolutely no damage at all. It's what you would call a fake.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- Golden Hammer
- Appears in:
- NES Wrecking Crew (10/1985)
- This special hammer is several times stronger than the regular hammer. While wielding it, jumping repeatedly will let you float in the air. It doesn't appear often, so grab it when it does! However, watch out for the squeaky version. It looks like the normal one but is really useless. (American English)
- This special hammer is much stronger than the normal one. And on top of that, it has a special ability - press the jump button repeatedly while holding it to float in the air. These things don't show up often, though, so if you see one, grab it fast! Just watch out for the Golden Squeaky Hammers–they look the same, but do exactly zero damage. (British English)
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Gouden hamer||Golden Hammer|
|French (NOA)||Marteau d'or||Golden Hammer|
|French (NOE)||Marteau en or||Gold Hammer|
|German||Goldener Hammer||Golden Hammer|
|Italian||Martello d'oro||Golden Hammer|
|Portuguese||Martelo Dourado||Golden Hammer|
|Spanish||Martillo dorado||Golden hammer|
- "Golden Hammer - This sometimes turns into a Squeaky Hammer. It doesn’t hurt much, but that sound sure is cute, eh?" - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U Tips
|VS. Wrecking Crew / Wrecking Crew|
|Characters||Mario • Luigi|
|Items and objects||Coin • Door • Drum* • Dynamite • Floor • Golden Hammer* • Ladder (Ladder wall) • Letter* • Pillar* • Wall|
|Enemies||Eggplant Man* • Fireball • Foreman Spike* • Gotchawrench|
|*Only in Wrecking Crew|