Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition damage calculations
When the player clears three Orbs or more on the Orb field, it counts as a single Combo, marked by the sound of a Coin being collected in the Super Mario games, as well as the amount of damage to be dealt displayed on the teammates' cards. Teammates attack only when the Combo of the elemental Orbs just cleared matches with their attribute, as indicated by their cards glowing that color briefly (e.g., when a Fire Combo is cleared, all teammates with Fire as their main/sub-attributes will attack). Likewise, Heart Orbs recover HP only when Heart Combos are cleared.
The ATK for a single combo is 100% of the teammates' base ATK. For every additional Orb in the Combo, the damage is increased by 25% (e.g., four Orbs cleared is 125% damage, five Orbs is 150%, six Orbs is 175%, and so on). This also applies to the teammates' RCV when clearing Heart Orbs. The more Combos of a certain Orb type are cleared, the more damage/healing power will be dealt. The player can clear up to 30 Orbs at once.
- Orb multiplier formula
100% + (N-3) * 25%. N = Number of connected Orbs.
- 3 Orbs connected: 100% + (3-3) * 25% = 100% = x1
- 4 Orbs connected: 100% + (4-3) * 25% = 125% = x1.25
- 10 Orbs connected: 100% + (10-3) * 25% = 275% = x2.75
- 30 Orbs connected: 100% + (30-3) * 25% = 775% = x7.75
Once all of the Combos have been made during the player's turn, including "skyfall combos", the damage to be dealt from the teammates' cards hop and rise in number for as many times the player has cleared Combos for. Likewise, the same also applies to the amount of HP to be recovered on the player's health bar after clearing Heart Combos. For every Combo made after the first increases the ATK/RCV by 25% (e.g., two Combos cleared is 125% damage, three Combos cleared is 150%, and so on), regardless of whether the player has matching/available Orbs that turn. These multipliers are added after all damage/recovery from making the Combos has been calculated.
- Combo multiplier formula
100% + (N-1) * 25%. N = Total combo count.
- 3-Combo multiplier: 100% + (3-1) * 25% = 150% = x1.5
- 5-Combo multiplier: 100% + (5-1) * 25% = 200% = x2
- 10-Combo multiplier: 100% + (10-1) * 25% = 325% = x3.25
If a Super Orb is cleared within a Combo, it triples the damage output of that Combo. For every Super Orb in the Combo, the damage increases another three times (e.g., two Super Orbs increases damage by x9, three Super Orbs increases it to x27, and so on). Teammates of the attribute that matched any Super Orbs glow in multi-color within their cards.
- Super Orb multiplier formula
100% * (3N). N = Amount of Super Orbs in a Combo.
- 1-Super Orb Combo: 100% * (31) = 300% = x3
- 2-Super Orb Combo: 100% * (32) = 900% = x9
- 3-Super Orb Combo: 100% * (33) = 2700% = x27
With the digital update to version 2.0, some teammates can use the Awoken Skill, Twin Attack, to raise their own ATK for each attribute the player clears exactly four Orbs for (horizontally or vertically). In addition to the raised attack power for that teammate, they also hit two enemies at once for each of their attributes cleared (it will not target a single enemy twice, however).
At Lv. 1, Twin Attack increases the base ATK for the teammate with this Awoken Skill by approximately 25%; approximately 30% at Lv. 2; approximately 35% at Lv. 3; approximately 40% at Lv. 4; and approximately 45% at Lv. 5.
|Awoken Skill Lv.||Damage output|
The damage multiplier for Twin Attack is applied at the same time the player clears four Orbs, then rounded to the nearest whole number. For instance, a teammate with a base ATK of 200 will have their ATK raised to 250 when clearing four Orbs, and with a Lv. 1 Twin Attack in effect, the damage is increased even further to approximately 312.95 or 313 damage.
The multiplier is also applied to any additional 4-Orb Combos the player clears of that teammate's attribute. For instance, if the teammate's base ATK is 200 and the player manages to clear two 4-Orb Combos of that's teammate's attribute with a Lv. 1 Twin Attack in effect, the ATK value is doubled from 313 to 626 -- before Combo multipliers for more than one Combo are applied.
- Twin Attack formula
D = ATK * 1.25 * (N * M)
- D = Final damage, rounded to the nearest whole number.
- ATK = Teammate's base ATK.
- 1.25 = Additional damage for having four Orbs in a Combo.
- N = Number of Twin Attack Combos.
- M = Multiplier from level of Twin Attack from that teammate.
- Lv. 1 = ~1.2518
- Lv. 2 = ~1.3014
- Lv. 3 = ~1.3517
- Lv. 4 = ~1.4017
- Lv. 5 = ~1.4516
ATK boosting Skills
After damage from the amount of Combos and the Combos themselves from the active teammates has been calculated, damage can be raised even further with several standard and Awoken Skills that raise ATK. Such Skills can be stacked with one another, and those that are activated make a sound resembling Kamek's broom zooming by.
Some Skills raise the ATK of the player's teammates, whether for the entire team, or for teammates of certain attributes. Several of these also have drawbacks such as reducing the player's team's HP to 1 or lowering their RCV to 0.
|Awoken Skill Lv.||Multiplier|
Also with the digital update to version 2.0, some teammates can use Awoken Skills -- Fire Boost, Water Boost, Wood Boost, Light Boost, and Dark Boost -- to increase the damage output of other teammates when clearing a horizontal row of six Orbs of their attribute (e.g, Water Boost raises ATK of all Water-attribute teammates).
At Lv. 1, these Awoken Skills increases damage by 10%; 13% at Lv. 2; 16% at Lv. 3; 18.8% at Lv. 4; and 22% at Lv. 5.
|Awoken Skill Lv.||Damage output|
The multiplier for an Attribute Boost Awoken Skill is applied in addition to the damage increase of 175% for clearing six Orbs. For example, a teammate with a base ATK of 200 will have their ATK raised to 350 when clearing an entire row of matching Orbs, and with a Lv. 1 Attribute Boost in effect, the damage is increased even further to 385 damage.
For any additional rows the player clears of a certain attribute with this Awoken Skill active, the multiplier is multiplied by the amount of rows of that attribute cleared (e.g., if the player clears two rows with a Lv. 1 Attribute Boost, the multiplier of x1.1 increases to x2.2, x3.3 with three rows). Rows that are separated only count for the increased multiplier -- any rows touching each other or connected by other Orbs count as one.
- Attribute Boost formula
D = ATK * 1.75 * (N * M)
- D = Final damage, rounded to the nearest whole number.
- ATK = Teammate's base ATK.
- 1.75 = Additional damage for having six Orbs in a Combo.
- N = Amount of rows cleared with Attribute Boost activated.
- M = Multiplier from level of Attribute Boost from that teammate.
- Lv. 1 = 1.1
- Lv. 2 = 1.13
- Lv. 3 = 1.16
- Lv. 4 = 1.188
- Lv. 5 = 1.22
Leader/Helper Skill multipliers
ATK raising multipliers from Leader and Helper Skills take effect at the same time as any ATK raising Skills, after combo calculations have been made, if the player satisfies any conditions associated with them (making a sound resembling a magic wand conjuring up magic). Multipliers from Leader or Helper Skills that raise ATK for certain attribute teammates take effect as any other Leader or Helper Skill -- it does not automatically increase before then. Multipliers from Leader and Helper Skills stack with one another.
- A Leader Skill that raises ATK by x1.4 when clearing three Combos or more, and a Helper Skill that's identical to it (x1.4), results in the multiplier stacking to x1.96.
- A Leader Skill that doubles the ATK of all Wood attribute teammates (x2), and a Helper Skill that raises ATK by x3 when clearing Orbs, results in the Wood attribute teammates earning the bonus multiplier of x6, while the rest of the player's team receives the multiplier of x3.
- Multiplier chart
Once all damage calculations have been made (from Orbs Combos, amount of Combos, and ATK-raising Skills), the player's team attacks by firing miniature Orbs at the enemies. Damage is displayed next to the enemy once an attack connects (with the color of that attribute), with the total damage listed underneath (in white numbers).
If an enemy has defense, the damage of an attack against it is subtracted by its defense value, giving the final damage amount. If the enemy has more defense than the attack, it deals only 1 damage.
- A teammate's attack that will deal 100 damage against an enemy with 20 defense causes the attack to deal 80 damage instead.
- A teammate's attack that will deal 50 damage against an enemy with 200 defense causes the attack to deal 1 damage instead.
An attribute multiplier is applied when an attack hits an enemy: x1.5 if it's strong against the enemy's attribute, x0.5 if weak against it, and no additional multiplier if it's neither strong or weak to it. Defense is subtracted after attribute multipliers.
- A Fire teammate's attack that will deal 100 damage against a Wood enemy with 0 defense causes the attack to deal 150 damage instead.
- A Fire teammate's attack that will deal 100 damage against a Wood enemy with 20 defense causes the attack to deal 130 damage instead.
- A Fire teammate's attack that will deal 100 damage against a Water enemy with 10 defense causes the attack to deal 40 damage instead.
Damage values for attacks that connect grow or shrink if they were strong or weak against the enemy: strong attacks expand and rise in damage, weak attacks shrink and lower in damage. Curiously, attacks that connect will display having the defense calculated in before the attribute multiplier is applied, then rise or lower to the final damage amount. The damage is calculated the same.
If an enemy can absorb damage from an attribute, the total damage from an attack will restore its HP that amount. Defense is also taken into account.
- A Fire teammate's attack that will deal 100 damage against an enemy that absorbs Fire Damage with 0 defense causes the attack to heal 100 damage.
- A Fire teammate's attack that will deal 100 damage against an enemy that absorbs Fire Damage with 20 defense causes the attack to heal 80 damage.
If an enemy has a shield that nullifies damage from an attribute, damage from that attribute is reduced to 0.
Total damage formula
F = ((ATK * Orbs) * Combos * (Skill * Leader)) * Attribute - Defense
- F = Final damage, rounded to the nearest whole number. If a teammate has a sub-attribute, it will be calculated separately.
- ATK = The teammate's base ATK.
- Orbs = The multiplier for the amount of Orbs in a Combo (x1 for three Orbs, x1.25 for two, etc.).
- If there are any Super Orbs in the Combo, the Orb multiplier is tripled for every Super Orb (x3 for one, x9 for two, etc).
- If Twin Attack is activated, this multiplier stacks with the Orb multiplier.
- Combos = The multiplier for amount of Combos made before attacking (x1 for one Combo, x1.25 for two, etc.).
- Skill = Any ATK raising multipliers.
- Leader = Any Leader or Helper Skill multipliers.
- Attribute = Any attribute multipliers: x1 for normal damage, x1.5 if strong against, x0.5 if weak against.
- Defense = The enemy's defense, if any.
- If a Water/Wood teammate has a base ATK of 500 (with a sub-attribute ATK of 167), makes a Combo with three Orbs (x1), makes another combo of a different color (x1.25), with a Leader Skill that raises ATK by x2.5 and a Helper Skill that raises it by x3 (both multipliers equaling x7.5), and attacks a Fire attribute enemy with 250 defense, it will inflict 6781 Water damage, and 533 Wood damage. In total, the Water/Wood teammate inflicts 7314 damage against that enemy.
- Water: ((500 * 1) * 1.25 * (2.5 * 2.5)) * 1.5 - 250 = 6781 damage.
- Wood: ((167 * 1) * 1.25 * (2.5 * 2.5)) * 0.5 - 250 = 533 damage.
- The attack power of a teammate's sub-attribute is one-third of their base ATK (or main attribute) if they differ, and 10% if both attributes match. Combo bonus and additional Orbs are calculated the same.
- Teammates with matched attributes attack once with their main attribute, and once more if their sub-attributes are also matched. All teammates attack one at a time, from left to right (Leader to Helper), starting with their main-attributes, then sub-attributes.
- When the players clears five Orbs of a certain attribute, each teammate of that attribute will attack all enemies at once.
- If the player does not target any enemies, their team will attack the weakest enemy with the attribute they're weak to.