|First appearance||Super Mario Sunshine (2002)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020)|
Punchers are red boxing gloves with black arms that appear in Super Mario Sunshine. They are found only in Noki Bay. They are hidden in wall indents with no indication that they are there (barring a question mark showing up within the wall if the player tilts the camera properly). If Mario walks close enough to them, they immediately punch at him, knocking him away. They then linger for a bit of time before retreating into the wall and completely disappearing. There is no way to avoid being hit by them without completely avoiding the locations they appear in.
There are two Punchers, which appear in every episode of Noki Bay except Red Coins in a Bottle, where Mario is not given a chance to explore the bay. One is found along a cliffside next to the one of two pulley-using platforms. The other one is found in a hole over a Rocket Nozzle box on an isolated ledge nearby. Additionally, Punchers that are angled upwards appear in specific episodes: One appears on the ledge under the first pulley platform in Il Piantissimo's Surf Swim and Hold It, Shadow Mario! (facing a slightly different direction in each), and one appears in a small cave across the bay in The Shell's Secret, guarding a 1-Up Mushroom that also appears only in that episode.
Similar green birds known as Cheep Cheeps appear from other alcoves. They have weaker launch power than Punchers.
|Super Mario Sunshine||puncher_model1||Puncher||-|
Names in other languages
- Hodgson, David S J, Bryan Stratton, and Stephen Stratton. Super Mario Sunshine Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 20.
- Super Mario Sunshine, internal filename root/data/scene/mare0/mapobj/scene/puncher_model1.bmd
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario Sunshine section, page 105.
- Super Mario Encyclopedia; pag. 105
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 105