Model in Super Mario Sunshine
|First appearance||Yoshi's Story (1997)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020)|
- “Try these fresh red peppers! ...Oh, who am I kidding? In this haze, these peppers look totally unappetizing!”
- —Pianta, Super Mario Sunshine
Peppers, also called Chili Peppers (or chili peppers), are a type of spicy fruit in Yoshi's Story. Yoshis are not fond of the fruit's spicy nature, as they stick their tongues out in disgust after consumption and lose one petal from their Smile Meter, and if they are Super Happy and eat a pepper, the effect will end prematurely. However, the unlockable Black Yoshi and White Yoshi seem to be fond of peppers in Yoshi's Story, as they do not take damage from them. If the player Yoshi is Super Happy and performs a Ground Pound while a pepper is onscreen, the fruit will turn into a single coin.
Peppers also appear alongside other fruits in Super Mario Sunshine at Delfino Plaza. If a Yoshi eats one, it turns purple, allowing it to spit juice of the same color that turns enemies into forward-moving purple platforms. It is the only fruit that Yoshis never ask for to hatch out of their eggs. It is also used to defeat King Boo at the casino of Hotel Delfino. By throwing a pepper at his tongue, King Boo is stunned, allowing Mario to damage him with another fruit.
Names in other languages
|French||Piment rouge||Red pepper|
- ^ Nintendo (December 2, 1998). Yoshi's Story official website (Internet Archive). Retrieved April 14, 2020.
- ^ Leung, Jason, Terry Munson, and Scott Pelland. Yoshi's Story Player's Guide. Page 16.
- ^ Yoshi Story instruction booklet, French segment. Page 65