- This article is about the enemy from Super Mario Sunshine also known as Kuri. For the enemy from Wario Land 3, see Kuri.
Artwork from Super Mario Sunshine
|First appearance||Super Mario Sunshine (2002)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020)|
- “Except... you dummy! I tricked you, Mario! It was all a lie from the start!”
- —Strollin' Stu, Super Mario Manga Mania, page 36
Strollin' Stus, also known as Hamkuri, Goombas, and Kuri, are Goomba-esque creatures inhabiting Isle Delfino in Super Mario Sunshine. They are squat and pudgy, each having a bulbous nose, bright reddish-pinkish high-tucked spotted trousers, and a waddling gait.
Super Mario Sunshine
Strollin' Stus charge at Mario should he get too close. If sprayed with water, they flip over, allowing Mario to spray or kick them away. Strollin' Stus can be defeated by jumping on them, by having a Yoshi eat them, or by spraying or kicking them into a wall, causing them to splatter and occasionally release coins. If Mario jumps on a knocked-over Strollin' Stu while multiple have been sprayed, all of them are defeated, and if Mario does this with at least three Strollin' Stus, a 1-Up Mushroom appears. Strollin' Stus appear with slight differences in size throughout the game, though generally they all act the same.
In the first episode of Bianco Hills, a special variety of Strollin' Stu appears, being constantly spawned from a thick blob of brown goop on the ground. These Strollin' Stus have a spatter of brown goop on their heads, but they are otherwise identical to other Strollin' Stus. The brown Generator pops like a bubble upon being sprayed. In certain secret areas, Strollin' Stus can also be spawned indefinitely from pictures of them on walls; these Strollin' Stus lack the spatter on their heads, and their Generator simply gets washed away like normal graffiti markings.
In Pinna Park, a stack of ten smaller Strollin' Stus upon a large Strollin' Stu appears, sometimes referred to as a Dango. A Dango appears in every episode taking place in the park itself underneath a wooden bridge near the Roller Coaster. Mario can use FLUDD to spray and knock down the small Strollin' Stus in order to jump on the large one. Alternatively, defeating the large Strollin' Stu first eliminates the rest of the stack at once, though it uniquely cannot be turned into a Yoshi Platform. Defeating the Dango produces a Blue Coin.
A Strollin' Stu has a major role in the Super Mario-kun chapter "The Super-Sad Red Coin Tale!" In the chapter, Mario encounters a Strollin' Stu who is spreading paint with a paintbrush. The Strollin' Stu falls over, catching FLUDD's attention. After being sprayed with water, the Strollin' Stu explains that he has not recently hit his job quota, which is to cover the town in paint. Expressing his fatigue and lack of vacation days, he says that his sister is ill and that they would be "done for at this rate," unless Mario can collect eight Red Coins to cure his sister's illness. Mario initially leaves him; however, the Strollin' Stu mentions that his sister won a beauty contest, interesting Mario. During this part of the chapter, he ends his sentences with "-Stu" (i.e., "Mario, it's in your hands-Stu"). Mario collects and gives him the Red Coins, and, speaking normally, the Strollin' Stu informs Mario that his sister's illness was a lie. His sister, covered in makeup and wearing bows on her head, congratulates her brother. He reveals that his plan was to have Mario get himself hurt while gathering the Red Coins, allowing him to defeat Mario, while using the Red Coins collected to "rise up in the rankings." Mario informs him that the Red Coins he gave him were actually tomato slices, then uses the real Red Coins to heal himself before punching the Strollin' Stu.
Mario Golf series
|Super Mario Sunshine||hamukuri||Hamukuri||Possibly from「ハムスター」(hamusutā, hamster) and「栗」(kuri, chestnut); shared with Smolderin' Stu|
Names in other languages
|From「栗」(kuri, chestnut) or「クリボー」(Kuribō, Goomba), and possibly diminutive suffix "-rin"|
|Italian||Grande Stu-Vagante||Big Strollin' Stu|
|Spanish||Stu Apilado||Stacked Stu|
- Hodgson, David S J, Bryan Stratton, and Stephen Stratton. Super Mario Sunshine Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 17.
- Loe, Casey. Super Mario Sunshine Perfect Guide. Page 32.
- Bogenn, Tim, and Doug Walsh. Super Mario Sunshine BradyGames Official Strategy Guide. Page 5.
- Loe, Casey. Super Mario Sunshine Perfect Guide. Page 63.
- Bogenn, Tim, and Doug Walsh. Super Mario Sunshine BradyGames Official Strategy Guide. Page 132.
- Bogenn, Tim, and Doug Walsh. Super Mario Sunshine BradyGames Official Strategy Guide. Page 6.
- Super Mario Sunshine, internal filename root/data/scene/bianco0.szs/scene/hamukuri
- Shogakukan. 「スーパーマリオサンシャイン任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Sunshine Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook). Page 19.
- Super Mario Encyclopedia, pag. 99
- Guida PRIMA di Super Mario Sunshine, pag. 17
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 99
- Guida PRIMA di Super Mario Sunshine, pag. 17