- Not to be confused with Goomba.
Artwork of a Goombo from Super Mario Land
|First appearance||Super Mario Land (1989)|
|Latest appearance||WarioWare Gold (2018)|
Goombo (also known by its original Japanese name Chibibo) is a variety of Goomba that resides in Sarasaland. Goombos have only appeared in Super Mario Land, and were only referred to as such in the American digital manual for the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console release of Super Mario Land in 2011, twenty-two years after the original game's release. Nintendo Power also refers to these as relatives of Goombas. Goombos are approximately half the size of Small Mario, while Goombas are usually about the same size.
Like Goombas, Goombos slowly meander to the side aiming to hit Mario. They will not turn around unless they hit an obstacle, and will wander off the edge of platforms. Once stomped or shot with a Superball, Mario will be rewarded with one hundred points. After Bombshell Koopas, Goombos are the most common enemy in the game, appearing in all kingdoms except for the Easton Kingdom.
In the Super Mario Land manga, Goombos play a marginal role thought out the story. Like normal Goombas in the manga, they are depicted with a taller torso and an occasional pair of tiny arms. Goombos do play a big role in the final chapter: pretending to be in danger, a Goombo asks for shelter at the Chai Kingdom temple (where Mario currently is), protected from the Pionpi due to a magic seal. The seal is removed to allow the Goombo to enter, but it quickly grabs it and tosses it to an exploding Bombshell Koopa, letting the Pionpi in and infect the people inside the temple. Another Goombo also plays the part of the priest during Tatanga and Princess Daisy's wedding, whom the groom accidentally kisses (and punches afterwards) after the forced-bride turns around to see Mario arriving in the Sky Pop.
Super Mario Land
- Instruction booklet: A timid mushroom that toddles along the ground.
- 3DS Virtual Console manual: This timid mushroom toddles along the ground.
Tribe: Mushroom clan
Game appearances: Land 1
A little wimpy mushroom
The first small fry character in Mario Land, appearing as a mushroom. It is not scary at all, since it just walks around. It is a good opponent to get used to learning to play.
Kellogg's trading card
Names in other languages
|Portmanteau of「ちび」(chibi, small) and「クリボー」(Kuribō, Goomba)|
|German||Tschibibo||Japanese/English name adapted to German spelling|
|Italian||Chibibo (Virtual Console e-manual)
- The English instruction booklet calls this enemy "timid", whereas the Japanese instruction booklet calls it "weak".
- Like certain other Super Mario Land characters, Goombos were made into finger puppets.
- Super Mario Land Virtual Console digital manual, page 14.
- Super Mario Land English instruction booklet, page 14.
- M. Arakawa. Nintendo Game Boy Player's Guide. Page 5.
- Shogakukan. 1994.「パーフェクト版 マリオキャラクター大事典」 (Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten), page 111.
- Also described as 「弱いキノコ」 yowai kinoko, or weak mushroom. - Super Mario Land Japanese instruction booklet, page 14.
- Club Nintendo (Netherlands) Classic, page 7.
- Super Mario Land French instruction booklet, page 14.
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag 46
|Super Mario Land|
|Protagonists||Mario • Princess Daisy|
|Bosses||King Totomesu • Dragonzamasu (Tamao) • Hiyoihoi • Biokinton (Chicken) • Tatanga (Pagosu)|
|Locations||Sarasaland (Birabuto Kingdom • Muda Kingdom • Easton Kingdom • Chai Kingdom)|
|Levels||World 1-1 • World 1-2 • World 1-3 • World 2-1 • World 2-2 • World 2-3 • World 3-1 • World 3-2 • World 3-3 • World 4-1 • World 4-2 • World 4-3 • Expert Level|
|Items & vehicles||Super Mushroom • Superball Flower • Star • 1UP heart • Coin • Marine Pop • Sky Pop • Switch • Lift Block|
|Enemies & obstacles||Batadon • Bombshell Koopa • Bullet Biff • Bunbun • Chikako • Dropping lift • Falling block • Falling spike • Fly • Ganchan • Gao • Gunion • Goombo • Honen • Kumo • Mekabon • Nyololin • Pionpi • Pipe Fist • Piranha Plant • Pompon Flower • Roketon • Roto Disc • Suu • Tokotoko • Torion • Yurarin • Yurarin Boo|
|Other||Brick • Bonus game • Das Super Mario Spiel • Gallery • Glitches • Goal • Media • Mystery Block • Soundtrack|