|First appearance||Super Mario Land (1989)|
King Totomesu is the first boss in the game Super Mario Land. He is a large sphinx- or lion-like creature who resembles a Gao but, unlike this enemy, is capable of moving in addition to breathing fire. King Totomesu serves as the boss of the Birabuto Kingdom, having fallen under Tatanga's control during his invasion of Sarasaland.
The player faces King Totomesu at the end of the pyramid in which the third level of Birabuto Kingdom takes place. His fight works like the battles with fake Bowsers in Super Mario Bros. In battle, he attacks by attempting to jump on and shoot fire at the player. To defeat King Totomesu, the player has to wait for him to jump and then dash to activate the switch behind him or simply shoot five Superballs at him. Dashing and jumping over him works as well. Either way, the player is awarded 5000 points for defeating King Totomesu and is allowed to progress into the Muda Kingdom.
Super Mario Land
- Instruction booklet: The boss of the Birabuto Kingdom. It jumps up and down spitting out fire. You can't defeat it by jumping on it. Use 5 superballs.
- 3DS Virtual Console manual: This boss of the Birabuto Kingdom jumps up and down spitting out fire. Jumping on him won't work. Instead, use five Superballs.
Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten
Tribe: Beast clan
Disposition: Bright and cheerful
Game appearances: Land 1
Boss that moves like Bowser
The boss of the Birabuto Kingdom, who breathes fire while jumping up and down. You can defeat it with 5 shots if you use Superballs, but otherwise, go under it when it jumps.
Artwork of King Totomesu from the manga
Names in other languages
A corruption of "King Thutmose"
|Dutch||koning Totomesu||King Totomesu|
|French||Roi Totomesu||King Totomesu|
|German||König Totumesu (Das Super Mario Spiel)
König Totomesu (Super Mario Encyclopedia - Die ersten 30 Jahre)
|Italian||Re Totomesu||King Totomesu|
- "Totomesu" is the katakana rendering of Thutmose (also spelled Tuthmosis), the name of several pharaohs of ancient Egypt. This is appropriate, considering the Egyptian theme of the Birabuto Kingdom and that King Totomesu looks like the Great Sphinx of Giza (though it was built in honor of Pharaoh Khafre, not any Thutmose).
- Totomesu's in-game sprite depicts him with a goatee, yet his artwork lacks this feature.
- Concept art for Super Mario Odyssey shown in The Art of Super Mario Odyssey indicated that Totomesu, or at least his likeness, would have made a reappearance (presumably in the Sand Kingdom).
- ^ Super Mario Land English instruction booklet, page 15.
- ^ M. Arakawa. Nintendo Game Boy Player's Guide. Page 5.
- ^ Shogakukan. 1994.「パーフェクト版 マリオキャラクター大事典」 (Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten), page 64.
- ^ Super Mario Land Japanese instruction booklet, page 17.
- ^ Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario Land section, page 46.
- ^ Super Mario Land Japanese website. Accessed on 5-12-15.
- ^ Club Nintendo (Netherlands) Classic, page 7.
- ^ Super Mario Land French instruction booklet, page 15.
- ^ Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 46
- ^ Club Nintendo (Mexico) Año 1 No. 1, page 20.
|Super Mario Land|
|Protagonists||Mario • Princess Daisy|
|Bosses||King Totomesu • Dragonzamasu (Tamao) • Hiyoihoi • Biokinton (Chicken) • Tatanga (Pagosu)|
|Locations||Sarasaland (Birabuto Kingdom • Muda Kingdom • Easton Kingdom • Chai Kingdom)|
|Levels||World 1-1 • World 1-2 • World 1-3 • World 2-1 • World 2-2 • World 2-3 • World 3-1 • World 3-2 • World 3-3 • World 4-1 • World 4-2 • World 4-3 • Expert Level|
|Items & vehicles||Super Mushroom • Superball Flower • Star • 1UP heart • Coin • Marine Pop • Sky Pop • Switch • Lift Block|
|Enemies & obstacles||Batadon • Bombshell Koopa • Bullet Biff • Bunbun • Chikako • Dropping lift • Falling block • Falling spike • Fly • Ganchan • Gao • Gunion • Goombo • Honen • Kumo • Mekabon • Nyololin • Pionpi • Pipe Fist • Piranha Plant • Pompon Flower • Roketon • Roto Disc • Suu • Tokotoko • Torion • Yurarin • Yurarin Boo|
|Other||Brick • Bonus game • Das Super Mario Spiel • Gallery • Glitches • Goal • Media • Mystery Block • Soundtrack|