Artwork of Hiyoihoi for Super Mario Land
|First appearance||Super Mario Land (1989)|
Hiyoihoi, also written as Hiyohoi, is the third boss in the game Super Mario Land. He evolved from a Tokotoko and resembles this enemy in appearance, except that he has legs. Hiyoihoi is in charge of the Easton Kingdom. During Tatanga's invasion of Sarasaland, Hiyoihoi came under Tatanga's control.
In battle, Hiyoihoi attacks by throwing Ganchan boulders at Mario. To defeat Hiyoihoi, Mario has to fire ten Superballs at him while avoiding being hit by the Ganchans. Alternatively, Mario can simply jump over Hiyoihoi and activate the switch behind him. Either way, Mario is awarded 5000 points for defeating Hiyoihoi and is allowed to progress into the Chai Kingdom.
In the Super Mario Land manga, Hiyoihoi is the boss of Easton Kingdom and is disappointed in seeing how incompetent his Tokotoko, Batadon, and Ganchan minions are, becoming more mad in seeing how Tatanga trusts the Kumos and Suu more than him in taking down Mario. After Suu-chan accidentally kills the Tokotoko and Batadon, Hiyoihoi blows a fuse and, armed with a Gatling gun, starts to shoot Bullet Biffs at everything, only managing to kill the Kumos. Mario saves Suu-chan by tackling her away from an incoming Bullet Biff, gaining her trust and gratitude. The two then face Hiyoihoi on his floating base and, after crossing a strange maze, reach him and defeat him by tossing more Superballs at once. With Hiyoihoi's defeat, the entire base disappears, and Suu-chan with it.
In Super Mario-kun, Hiyoihoi appears in the last chapter of volume 3. He occupies a room in Bowser's Castle with the Tokotoko and Batadon. He attempts to squash Mario with the Ganchan, but Mario forces Yoshi to eat them and toss him at the moai like a bowling ball, striking them down. Hiyoihoi and the others get back up and group together to form a boulder to try and stop Mario. Later, when the heroes are fighting King Totomesu, Hiyoihoi and his soldiers step between them, claiming that Totomesu has no right to take "their prey", starting a fight between them and letting Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi escape. In the same volume, the third maze in the puzzle section is shaped like Hiyoihoi.
Super Mario Land
- Instruction booklet: The boss of the Easton Kingdom, Hiyoihoi evolved from a Tokotoko. It comes at Mario throwing Ganchans, so mind you don't get crushed. Jumping on Hiyoihoi won't defeat it but 10 superballs will do the trick.
- Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console manual: The boss of the Easton Kingdom, Hiyoihoi evolved from a Tokotoko. It throws Ganchans, so take care not to get crushed. Jumping on Hiyoihoi won't work, but 10 well-placed Superballs should do the trick.
Tribe: Rock clan
Game appearances: Land 1
He's going to throw Ganchans at you
A moai statue that is the boss of the Easton Kingdom. Without a moment's rest, he throws one Ganchan (p. 59) after another. Hiyoihoi is a stone head that cannot be trampled, so he is a tough opponent.
Names in other languages
|From「ひょい」(hyoi, onomatopoeia for picking something up) and「ほい」(hoi, an interjection for "heave-ho")|
|German||König Hiyoihoi (Das Super Mario Spiel)
- Super Mario Land English instruction booklet (PDF). Page 15. The Game Is Afoot Arcade. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- M. Arakawa. Nintendo Game Boy Player's Guide. Page 5.
- Hamm & Rudolf GmbH, Frankfurt. Super Game Boy Player's Guide. Page 18.
- Shogakukan. 1994.「パーフェクト版 マリオキャラクター大事典」 (Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten), page 172.
- Super Mario Land Japanese instruction booklet. Page 16.
- Club Nintendo (Netherlands) Classic, page 8.
- Super Mario Land French instruction booklet, page 15.
- Super Mario Encyclopedia - Die ersten 30 Jahre, pag. 47
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia, pag. 47
|Super Mario Land|
|Protagonists||Mario • Princess Daisy|
|Bosses||King Totomesu • Dragonzamasu (Tamao) • Hiyoihoi • Biokinton (Chicken) • Tatanga (Pagosu)|
|Locations||Sarasaland (Birabuto Kingdom • Muda Kingdom • Easton Kingdom • Chai Kingdom)|
|Levels||World 1-1 • World 1-2 • World 1-3 • World 2-1 • World 2-2 • World 2-3 • World 3-1 • World 3-2 • World 3-3 • World 4-1 • World 4-2 • World 4-3 • Expert Level|
|Items & vehicles||Super Mushroom • Superball Flower • Star • 1UP heart • Coin • Marine Pop • Sky Pop • Switch • Lift Block|
|Enemies & obstacles||Batadon • Bombshell Koopa • Bullet Biff • Bunbun • Chikako • Dropping lift • Falling block • Falling spike • Fly • Ganchan • Gao • Gunion • Goombo • Honen • Kumo • Mekabon • Nyololin • Pionpi • Pipe Fist • Piranha Plant • Pompon Flower • Roketon • Roto Disc • Suu • Tokotoko • Torion • Yurarin • Yurarin Boo|
|Other||Brick • Bonus game • Das Super Mario Spiel • Gallery • Glitches • Goal • Media • Mystery Block • Soundtrack|