|First appearance||Super Mario Land (1989)|
Honen, also known as Honhen or Bone Fish, are enemies in the Muda Kingdom of Sarasaland that appear in Super Mario Land. According to the instruction manual, they are the skeletons of Torion eaten by Tatanga. They jump vertically out of the waters of the Muda Kingdom at regular intervals. They can easily be defeated by being jumped on or by simply standing above them, or by hitting them with a Superball. Defeating one is worth 100 points. They appear in World 2-1 and World 2-3. They are one of two undead enemies to appear in the game, the other being Pionpi.
In the Super Mario Land manga, Tatanga creates three Honen after eating some Torion that dared to make jokes about his relationship with Daisy, which he then sends to Muda Kingdom. While avoiding two of the Honen, Mario is bitten by the third one on the bottom. The pain makes him jump out of his pants, leaving him naked and exposed, flustering Mekakuribō (who is Princess Peach in disguise). Mario then retrieves his overalls and stomps on the enemy.
Super Mario Land
- Instruction booklet: The skeleton of a Torion after it's been eaten by Tatanga. It always flies vertically up from the water. A superball can't stop it.
- 3DS Virtual Console manual: This skeleton of a Torion after it has been eaten by Tatanga always flies up vertically from the water. It can't be defeated by a Superball.
Tribe: Ghost clan
Game appearances: Land 1
Full of energy, even when bony
It is said to be a Torion that was eaten by Tatanga and became a skeleton. Even when they become bones, they still leap out of the sea with great force. Superballs will not work, but you can knock it down by stepping on it from above.
Names in other languages
|Derived from「骨」(hone, bone) and「トリオン」(Torion)|
- Super Mario Land English instruction booklet, page 15.
- M. Arakawa. Nintendo Game Boy Player's Guide. Page 5.
- Shogakukan. 1994.「パーフェクト版 マリオキャラクター大事典」 (Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten), page 204.
- Super Mario Land Japanese instruction booklet, page 17.
- Club Nintendo (Netherlands) Classic, page 8.
- Super Mario Land French instruction booklet, page 15.
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia, pag. 47
|Super Mario Land|
|Protagonists||Mario • Princess Daisy|
|Bosses||King Totomesu • Dragonzamasu (Tamao) • Hiyoihoi • Biokinton (Chicken) • Tatanga (Pagosu)|
|Locations||Sarasaland (Birabuto Kingdom • Muda Kingdom • Easton Kingdom • Chai Kingdom)|
|Levels||World 1-1 • World 1-2 • World 1-3 • World 2-1 • World 2-2 • World 2-3 • World 3-1 • World 3-2 • World 3-3 • World 4-1 • World 4-2 • World 4-3 • Expert Level|
|Items & vehicles||Super Mushroom • Superball Flower • Star • 1UP heart • Coin • Marine Pop • Sky Pop • Switch • Lift Block|
|Enemies & obstacles||Batadon • Bombshell Koopa • Bullet Biff • Bunbun • Chikako • Dropping lift • Falling block • Falling spike • Fly • Ganchan • Gao • Gunion • Goombo • Honen • Kumo • Mekabon • Nyololin • Pionpi • Pipe Fist • Piranha Plant • Pompon Flower • Roketon • Roto Disc • Suu • Tokotoko • Torion • Yurarin • Yurarin Boo|
|Other||Brick • Bonus game • Das Super Mario Spiel • Gallery • Glitches • Goal • Media • Mystery Block • Soundtrack|