Artwork of a red Gooble in Super Mario Sunshine
|First appearance||Super Mario Sunshine (2002)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020)|
Goobles, originally named Swoopin' Stus or Name Kuri, are transparent slug- or jellyfish-like creatures that appear in Super Mario Sunshine. Despite their original name, they bear very little resemblance to Strollin' Stus. Each Swoopin' Stu is composed of a round translucent body filled with goop, with a pair of eyes and a small cluster of hair or antennae on top. Swoopin' Stus move by sliding across the ground on a set of small tentacles or fringe. Swoopin' Stus come in a variety of colors, such as red, blue, light blue, green, pink, yellow, and orange, as well as different sizes, but they all share the same behavior.
Swoopin' Stus can appear wherever goop is found, but they are prominently found during battles with Gatekeepers, where they continuously spawn from their Generators. Once spawned, a Swoopin' Stu simply moves forward for a short moment, without leaving any trail, before exploding into a small puddle of goop. If it spots Mario, it will begin slowly chasing after him. If it gets close enough to him, the Swoopin' Stu will begin flashing white before it makes a sound and lunges at him, exploding on impact while also leaving goop behind. Swoopin' Stus can be destroyed with a blast of water from FLUDD or by being jumped on, though the latter method leaves behind a puddle of goop that can spawn more Swoopin' Stus. This can be avoided, however, if they are jumped on while they are in the air. Stomping on them also causes them to occasionally drop Water Bottles.
Swoopin' Stus were originally intended to have a more slug-like design in the game, but their design was changed in the final version.
In Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, the name "Gooble" can appear on the leaderboard.
|Super Mario Sunshine||namekuri2||Namekuri||From「蛞蝓」(namekuji, slug) and possibly Hamukuri|
Names in other languages
|Japanese onomatopoeia for bubbles popping; similar to Milde's name|
|Portmanteau of colla (glue) and bolla (bubble)|
- English Super Mario Sunshine entry on the official Mario Portal. nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved August 13, 2022. (Archived August 12, 2022 23:33:20 UTC via archive.today.)
- Hodgson, David S J, Bryan Stratton, and Stephen Stratton. Super Mario Sunshine Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 17.
- Bogenn, Tim, and Doug Walsh. Super Mario Sunshine BradyGames Official Strategy Guide. Page 5.
- Super Mario Sunshine, internal filename root/data/scene/dolpic0.szs/scene/namekuri2
- Shogakukan. 「スーパーマリオサンシャイン任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Sunshine Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook). Page 21.
- Super Mario Encyclopedia, pag. 100
- Italian Super Mario Sunshine Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 17.
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 100