|First appearance||Paper Mario (2000)|
- “If I were just a bit younger, I'd accompany you on your trip. I'd have done some damage! The years have started to weigh on me, though. I tell you, this lower back pain...”
- —Goompa, Paper Mario
Goompa is Goombario and Goombaria's grandfather in Paper Mario. He is an elder Goomba and has extensive knowledge of the world, which comes from his adventures as a youth. In his prime, he used to travel the globe with his friends Koopa Koot and Bootler. According to Russ T. after Chapter 7, Goompa used to be a famous fighter and sparred with The Master when they were young. Now an elderly grandfather with back aches, Goompa has taught his grandson everything he knows. According to the iQue release, Goompa is his grandchildren's paternal grandfather.
Goompa lives in Goomba Village with the rest of his family. In the beginning of the story, Goompa is fixing the veranda of their home with his Hammer. When Mario attempts to leave the village, Kammy Koopa appears and, using her magic, creates a yellow block that prevents Mario from leaving. Mario decides to ask Goompa for his Hammer and walks to the veranda. Unfortunately, the veranda has fallen apart, causing Goompa and Mario to plummet to the ground below. In order to get back to the village, Goompa temporarily joins Mario, and in lieu of fighting, he teaches Mario how to use the game's battle system and gives Mario his Hammer after it is found. Goompa also gives Mario the Power Jump badge after getting back to his house, and goes on to tell Mario how to equip and use badges.
One of the favors that Koopa Koot asks of Mario is that he retrieve a Tape that had been lent to Goompa a long time ago. When Mario retrieves the tape, he is curious of its contents, but Goompa refuses to tell him what is on the tape, commenting only that he enjoyed listening to it. During the party's quest to save Peach, Goompa writes a letter to Goombario, which the player can read at the Toad Town Post Office. Mario can also find a letter for Goompa by hitting the tree at Kolorado's camp in Dry Dry Desert after Mario visits Fice T. prior to Chapter 3. Should Parakarry deliver it to him, he rewards Mario with a Star Piece.
During Chapter 7, a Duplighost attempts to disguise himself as Kooper, but ends up impersonating Goompa instead, down to his mannerisms.
Goompa has a C-Down command like all partners. In the beginning of the game when Goompa acts as Mario's partner, pressing C-Down makes Goompa move behind Mario if he is not already. His name appears in the coding of the game in Mario's list of partners along with Goombaria and Twink. He, like all of the removed partners, has an identical icon to Kooper's. Despite this, there is a glitch in the game that lets Mario take Goompa outside of Goomba Village. However, he has no attacks and crashes the game if the partner menu is opened when he is the active partner.
Goompa giving Mario the Power Jump Badge.
- "He's my grandpa, Goompa. He knows oodles of stuff. Ever since I was a kid, he's been telling me fantastic stories of his youth."
Names in other languages
|From「クリボー」(kuribō, Goomba) and「爺」(jī, grandfather)|
|From「酷栗宝」(Kùlìbǎo, Goomba) and「爷爷」(yéye, paternal grandpa)|
|German||Gumpa||From the German name for the Goombas (Gumba) and "grandpa".|
|Spanish||Goomabuelo||From "Goomba" and "abuelo" (grandfather)|
- Stryder7x (August 13, 2015). Goompa Joined Your Party! (Partner Glitch in Paper Mario 64). YouTube. Retrieved February 18, 2022.
- In the Japanese version of Paper Mario, Goompa says the following when Mario first talks to him in the balcony: 「ワシは クリじいですじゃ じいさんの クリボーじゃから クリじいなんですじゃ」(I'm Kurijii. The grandpa (jiisan) Goomba (kuribō), therefore Kurijii.)
- In iQue's localization of Paper Mario. Goompa says the following when Mario first talks to him in the balcony: 叫我酷栗爷爷吧。我是栗子小子的爷爷。所以……我叫酷栗爷爷。 (Call me Goompa. I'm the grandpa of the Goombas, so... I'm called Goompa.) https://www.bilibili.com/video/av75169038 (7:03)