|Paper Mario move|
|Mastered by||Mario/Star Spirits|
|Effect||Breaks Bowser's Star Rod invincibility|
- “If you use this power, you can drain the power of the Star Rod whenever Bowser uses it.”
- —Eldstar, Paper Mario
Star Beam is a move that can be performed by all seven Star Spirits in Paper Mario. It is bestowed on Mario when he arrives at the sanctuary of Star Haven after having rescued Kalmar. Star Beam can be used to remove any status placed on enemies, such as ones given by Magikoopas (Electrified, Invisible, attack or defense boosts). It is essential during the first of three rounds of the final battle with Bowser, where Mario must use it to counter the effects of the Star Rod that the Koopa King powers himself up with. However, Bowser later uses the Star Rod while fighting Mario on the Power Platform, constructed and activated by Kammy Koopa, to become strong enough that even the Star Beam is unable to work against the Star Rod, after which Mario's active partner will remark about Star Beam's ineffectiveness:
- Goombario: "Oh, we're hurting, Mario! The Star Beam doesn't work!"
- Kooper: "Oh no, Mario! The Star Beam isn't working!"
- Bombette: "What's the matter? Why won't the Star Beam work?"
- Parakarry: "Uh-oh, this is a problem! The Star Beam's ineffective!"
- Lady Bow: "Well, don't just stand there staring at the sky, Mario! The Star Beam doesn't work! Think of something!"
- Watt: "Oh no!! We're in trouble! The Star Beam doesn't work? Oh, that bad monster is gonna beat us up now for sure..."
- Sushie: "Oh, this is no good! The Star Beam doesn't work! What'll we do, Mario!?"
- Lakilester: "Oh man, just what we need!! The Star Beam's broken! What're we gonna do, man?"
Names in other languages
Xīng zhī Shèxiàn
|Spanish||Rayo Estelar||Stellar Beam|
- "Paper Mario: From Japanese to English". (June 17, 2013). The Mushroom Kingdom. Retrieved February 4, 2015.