Super Blocks are blocks that contain a spinning blue disk that appear in Paper Mario. Similar to Merlon's power in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, the Super Block upgrades Mario's partners. There are 16 blocks scattered all across the Mushroom Kingdom. The fortune teller Merluvlee can tell where the Super Blocks are.
Each of Mario's partners can be upgraded twice: the first time to a Super Rank and the second time to an Ultra Rank after Mario receives the Ultra Stone from Raphael the Raven in Chapter 5. After Mario receives the Ultra Stone, he can choose to Ultra Rank a partner even if all partners aren't at Super Rank yet.
List of Super Blocks
|Mt. Rugged||In the entrance scene, there is a stone block on the path in the northwest. Mario may find the Super Block at the end of the path.|
|Dry Dry Desert||In the oasis, there is a Super Block to the south of the pond.|
|Dry Dry Ruins||In the area with two floors of stairs, Mario must go left from the first floor to find the Super Block.|
|Toad Town Tunnels||After entering Toad Town Tunnels, Mario must head west, and take the pipe to the sub-level, where he must then use the two-tiered elevator to go right and through the doorway. To the right of the entrance scene is an elevator. After taking it to the ceiling, Mario must walk right and fall down to find the Super Block in this room.|
|Tubba Blubba's Castle||Mario must go left from the first-floor entrance to find stairs at the end he must head down to find the Super Block just before the door to the basement.|
|Toad Town Tunnels||After entering Toad Town Tunnels, Mario must break the wooden floor, fall down, then head west. After passing the Dark Koopa gate is a room with a movable block and a few hidden blocks. Mario must hit them for a bridge to the Super Block in the high place.|
|Shy Guy's Toy Box||Mario must go left from the red station to find two walls forming a closed area. The Super Block is above the platform in the middle of the north side.|
|Jade Jungle||After entering the jungle from Yoshi's Village, Mario must ride Sushie to the left and land at the island at the center of the next screen. To the southeast path is a Super Block.|
|Mt. Lavalava||In the first trapeze area, Mario must take the highest trapeze and go right. The Super Block is at the end of the path.|
|Mt. Lavalava||In the second trapeze area, where there is a trapeze in the air, Mario must take the trapeze, fall down at where the rock wall in the back pales, and fall on a high platform with this Super Block.|
|Toad Town||In the entrance of Toad Town, Mario must dive with Sushie and enter the pipe at the center of the pond in the south. The Super Block is at the end of the path below.|
|Toad Town Tunnels||After entering Toad Town Tunnels, Mario needs to go west, and take the pipe to the sub-level. In the entrance area is a pipe leading further down. The Super Block is in the next room, guarded by two metal blocks.|
|Flower Fields||Mario must go southeast from the center of Flower Fields. After passing the thorny path, there is a path to the north. The Super Block is at the end of the path.|
|Flower Fields||Mario should head northeast from the center of Flower Fields. After solving a puzzle, there is a bridge on the north side. The Super Block is above the bridge.|
|Toad Town Tunnels||In the icy scene of Toad Town Tunnels that leads to Shiver City, there is a Super Block to the left.|
|Shiver Mountain||In the second screen after the snowman entrance, there is a path up to the top. The Super Block is at the end of this path.|
- I see...a Super Block. You descend below Toad Town and head left through several blocks and a pipe. You go right after the pipe until you can ride a platform up through the ceiling. You walk right and fall through the floor to find the block.
- I see...a Super Block. Deep down under Toad Town, you break the floor, fall, and then go left. Beyond the Dark Koopas' gate, you stand on a movable block and jump to find hidden blocks. You cross them for the prize.
- I see...a Super Block. In the dark below Toad Town, under the platform that sinks if you step on it, is a pipe leading farther down. Powerful metal blocks stop your progress, but with a powerful Hammer, you smash them to get through.
- I see...a Super Block. In the tunnels below Toad Town, in a frozen room on the path leading to a very cold, frostbitten city... You move to the right and find the pipe to the town above. You move to the left first and find the block waiting.
- I see...a Super Block. You ride over the water to the island in the Toad Town pond and climb into the pipe. In a secluded chamber beneath the water, you find the block.
- I see...a Super Block. You climb the mountain just above Mt. Rugged station, and you break the big block on the left side. You walk forward and find what you seek.
- I see...a Super Block. In a place of rest in the cruel desert, is a lush oasis unknown to most wanderers. You find the block along the edge of the refreshing, life-giving waters.
- I see...a Super Block. You find a jump pad in the dusty depths of the hidden ruins in the desert. The block lies beside it.
- I see...a Super Block. You climb to the upper level of Tubba Blubba's Castle and keep going left. When you reach the bottom of the stairs, you find it near the door.
- I see...a Super Block. It is in the Toy Box in the room that has a Ferris wheel and platforms that move up and down. You jump to the highest green block to find it waiting.
- I see...a Super Block. In a jungle you navigate the water on the back of a fishy friend. You find the block on an island across a bridge.
- I see...a Super Block. You ride down a trapeze in the volcano and go right into a room with fire bars. You avoid touching the rotating arms of flame. Your reward is a Super Block.
- I see...a Super Block. Deep inside the volcano, when you see the second rope, you turn right and see another one. You ride that rope instead. When the rock wall pales behind you, you let go. The block's on a rock platform.
- I see...a Super Block. There is a yellow gatekeeper in Flower Fields. You go through its gate, over the thorny patch then up the stairs to the left. You fight your way left to find the block.
- I see...a Super Block. You explore Flower Fields to the right of the big tree that grows at the entrance. You move ! platforms by jumping on them, so with Spin Jumps and hovering help, you continue. You use a jump step hidden on the roadside and find the block up above.
- I see...a Super Block. On Shiver Mountain you see stairs going up to the left as you climb to the palace. The Super Block waits in the cold for you.
Names in other languages
|French||Super Bloc||Super Block|
- In The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 episode "Super Koopa", Mario refers to a standard Brick Block as a Super Block.
- In the Virtual Console re-release of Paper Mario, the brightness of the Super Block was changed to avoid the risk of seizures.