Mario holding a flashing Grab Block
|First appearance||Super Mario World (1990)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (2001)|
Grab Blocks, also referred to as Blue Blocks, are dark-blue blocks resembling Rotating Blocks appearing in Super Mario World. They first appear in Yoshi's Island 2. Grab Blocks can be picked up and carried around by Mario or Luigi, disappearing after a few seconds. Once grabbed, a Grab Block begins to flash colors, and it can be kicked away to defeat enemies or reach distant Prize Blocks. Yoshi can eat Grab Blocks, though only after they have been activated, and he simply swallows them. A minor glitch occurs if the player takes a Grab Block through a pipe, causing it to last indefinitely.
A similar type of block known as the White Block has previously appeared in Super Mario Bros. 3. White Blocks can be picked up, carried, and thrown much like a Grab Block, but they resemble white or light-blue Brick Blocks. In New Super Mario Bros. Wii, a type of Ice Block has the same role as both, though it is slippery and does not self-destruct.
Names in other languages
|Play on「ブルブル」(buruburu, shivering) and「クルクルブロック」(Kurukuru Burokku, Rotating Block); may also incorporate「ブルー」(burū, blue)|
|French||Bloc à empoigner||Block to grab|
|German||Nimm mit-Block||Take Me-Block|
|Italian||Blocco da afferrare
Mattoni da presa
|Grab Block/Block to grab|
Bricks to grab
|Portuguese||Bloco de Apanhar||Catch Block|
|Spanish||Bloque arrojadizo||Throwable block|
- Super Mario World English instruction booklet, page 22.
- M. Arakawa. Nintendo Mario Mania Player's Guide. Page 51.
- Super Mario World Japanese instruction booklet (fold-out)
- Shogakukan. 1994.「パーフェクト版 マリオキャラクター大事典」 (Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten), page 45.
- Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 European instruction booklet.
- Super Mario World instruction booklet, page 22.
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 61
- Super Mario World Brazilian instruction booklet, page 22.