Cascading Stones, also described as falling stone blocks or falling blocks, are platforms of various shapes and sizes introduced in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. When stood upon by a Yoshi, they fall down into the ground or off the screen. They shake when the Yoshi stands on one, indicating that they will fall. They appear in Visit Koopa And Para-Koopa, Lakitu's Wall, and Shifting Platforms Ahead. In the GBA reissue, they additionally appear in Exercise in the Skies.
In Yoshi's Island DS, the typical Cascading Stones mainly appear in Rock 'n' Fall, though other behaviors appear elsewhere; some fall only when terrain under them is destroyed with an egg, while others stand on solid ground and can be raised with a switch. A type known as Sliding Blocks appears in Tap-Tap's Sunken Cave and Teeth-Chattering Chill Zone.
Cascading Stones reappear in Yoshi's New Island as a feature of Koopa Canyon, where their falling behavior was slightly altered, as they shake before abruptly falling instead of a more gradual descent. Similar terrain appears in Crumble Rock Rumble.
Names in other languages
|Falling Floor (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island)|
Tetris Block (pre-release)
Rumbling Rock (Yoshi's Island DS);「ゴゴゴ」(gogogo) is onomatopoeic term for rumbling or whirring object
Drop Block (Yoshi's New Island); shared with an object from Wario World
|Italian||Roccia instabile (YIDS)
Roccione discendente (YNI)
Descending big rock
- Black, Fletcher. Yoshi's Island DS PRIMA Official Game Guide. Page 201. "Cascading Stones"
- Williams, Drew. Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 Player's Guide. Page 38.
- Williams, Drew. Yoshi's Island DS Player's Guide. Page 85.
- Black, Fletcher. Yoshi's Island DS PRIMA Official Game Guide. Page 171. "Sliding Blocks"
- TCRF. Proto:Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island/ys romX 0#World 2. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved December 11, 2021.
- 「任天堂公式ガイドブック ヨッシー New アイランド」 (Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook – Yoshi's New Island), page 70.