Star (Yoshi's Island series)
Artwork from Yoshi's New Island
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's New Island (2014)|
|Effect||Collecting stars adds time to the Countdown Timer if Baby Mario is let go (touches an enemy).|
A star (originally capitalized), or Star Man, is a common collectible in the Yoshi's Island games. Stars are found in certain defeated enemies and some Winged Clouds or by dropping an enemy or egg inside a tulip. Winged Clouds can hold five stars, while tulips spit out eight stars. However, if a Yoshi has reached the maximum number of stars, these stars are replaced by coins. There are also packs of stars that come in 10 or 20. Two of them also appear if a Red Egg hits an enemy. These stars are used when Baby Mario falls off a Yoshi's back. The stars create a bubble around Baby Mario, protecting him from Toadies until it is depleted. Every star collected adds one more second to the Countdown Timer, maxing at 30. Checkpoint Rings give a Yoshi ten more seconds as he passes through them. Should the player recover Baby Mario with fewer than 10 stars remaining, the counter gradually refills to 10. In Yoshi's Woolly World and Yoshi's Crafted World, stars are replaced by Hearts.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Nintendo 3DS electronic manual description: Each one increases your star power by one. The maximum that you can have at any time is 30.
Names in other languages
- In prototype builds of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, clocks were used to replenish the Countdown Timer, but they were replaced by stars by the final game. The same goes for what would become the 10 Point Star and 20 Point Star.
- Nintendo Magazine System (AU) issue 30, pages 11 and 15.
- Proto:Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island/ys romX 0#Graphical Differences. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved October 23, 2021.
- Proto:Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island/ys romX 0/Items. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved October 23, 2021.