- This article is about the bat creature debuting in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. For the Magikoopa with the nickname "Fang", see Kamek. For the Super Mario RPG attack, see Fangs.
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's Crafted World (2019)|
Fangs, also referred to as Bats, are blue bats that have the same mannerisms as Swoops. Fangs appear in the cave levels of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Super Princess Peach, Yoshi's Island DS, Yoshi's New Island, and Yoshi's Crafted World. When the player gets too close to one, the Fang will fly towards them from its sleeping position. For unknown reasons, when Fangs fly, they leave a short dashed line behind them. Yoshi can eat Fangs to create Eggs.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island / Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Fangs appear in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island as enemies of Yoshi which try to damage him by swooping down at him when he gets too close, and are found in the various cave levels. The Fangs tend to loop around as they fly, although this is inconsistent. The official art depicts them as purple, but in the game itself, they are sky blue.
Yoshi Touch & Go
Fangs are also seen in Yoshi Touch & Go, where they patrol ground areas and appear not only in caves, but also in additional areas such as jungles and fields. These Fangs can only be found sleeping on ceilings in cave stages, and are otherwise always in flight, soaring up and down at varying intervals. If shot down with an egg or stomped, these Bats are worth two points, and encasing them in a bubble can earn the player a Blue Coin. In this game, Fangs are purple, matching their original artwork. On a related note, Bats were also present in the Balloon Trip tech demo which eventually evolved into the final Yoshi Touch & Go. In Balloon Trip, Fangs were found in the sky (an area they were ironically absent from in Yoshi Touch & Go) and continually circled around; such a role was taken up by red Fly Guys in the final Yoshi Touch & Go.
Yoshi's Island DS
In Yoshi's Island DS, Fangs return, and are classified as Airborne Enemies in the Island Museum. Despite this, Fangs are seen more in cave areas than in open areas. In this game, they first appear is World 3-5, Heeeeeeere's Wario!
Yoshi's New Island
Fangs once again appear in Yoshi's New Island, with one, named Count Fang, being turning supersized thanks to Kamek's magic mallet, and is the boss of World 2. Count Fang is surrounded by purple Fangs known as Slave Basa. Fang's internal filename for this game is "basabasa", sharing this name with Swoop.
Yoshi's Woolly World / Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
Fangs reappear in Yoshi's Woolly World made out of wool. When the fangs fly they leave long, purple dashed trails in a similar manner to that of running stitch. Fangs also appear in the remake of the game Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World.
Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Princess Peach
Fangs appear in Super Princess Peach. Once again they are enemies which try to defeat the protagonist, but this time it is Princess Peach instead of Yoshi. They appear along with another variant called Glad Fangs and fly right at Peach instead of just around the screen. In several levels, small versions are grouped in clusters which Peach must remove by using the Rage vibe to scare them away. Their wings are now yellow instead of red, while Glad Fangs have red wings instead.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: 洞窟や砦に住むコウモリ。浮き沈みしながら飛んでくるので、うっとおしい。 (A bat that lives in caves and forts. It is annoying because it goes up and down as it flies around.)
- Player's Guide: Fangs favor caves and other dark, damp places. Their erratic flight patterns make them tough to catch.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: どうくつやとりでに住むコウモリ。上下にカーブを描くように飛んでくる。 (A bat that lives in caves and forts. It flies in a curve up and down.)
Yoshi Touch & Go
- Shogakukan guide: 画面右から現れ、上下に蛇行しながら飛んでくる。上下移動が大きく、複数で現れることが多いので、早めに倒したい。2匹が対になって飛んできたときは、交差したところをまとめて囲むとよい。 (They appear from the right side of the screen and fly in a snaking up-and-down motion. If two of them fly in pairs, you should surround them at the crossover point.)
Yoshi's New Island
- Shogakukan guide: 空を飛ぶコウモリのような敵。水平に飛ぶタイプと、大きな円を描くようにして飛ぶタイプの2種類がいる。動きをよく見て、落ち着いて舌を伸ばそう。(Flying bat-like enemies. There are two types: those that fly horizontally and those that fly in large circles. Watch their movements carefully and extend your tongue calmly.)
Super Princess Peach
- 72: Attacks from the air.
|Yoshi's New Island||content0.game/romfs/basabasa.bch.z||basabasa||Swoop|
Names in other languages
|Japanese onomatopoeia for flying rapidly; also a play off「バサバサ」(Basabasa, Swoop)|
|Italian||Pipistrillo||Portmanteau of "pipistrello" (bat) and "strillo" (scream)|
|Onomatopoeia for flapping rapidly|
|Spanish (NOE)||Colmiche||From "colmillo" (fang)|
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 126.
- Williams, Drew. Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 Player's Guide. Page 17.
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 6.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 19.
- 「キャッチ！タッチ！ヨッシー！任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Catch! Touch! Yoshi! Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 15.
- 「ヨッシー New アイランド 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's New Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 22.
- 「ヨッシーアイランドDS任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's Island DS Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 124.
- ChallengeTime (Feb 10, 2018). Let's Play Super Princess Peach (Part 22 / ENDE): Grenzenloses Gemüt! 21:49 Youtube. Retrieved October 22, 2021.
- JugglingGamer (Jun 1, 2021). yoshi's new island (ITA)-04:dalle stalle alle stelle 38:03 Youtube. Retrieved October 22, 2021.
- "요시야, 아직까지도 아기를 도와주고 싶은 거냐? 그렇다면, 어디 파닥파닥 보스를 이겨 보시지!" (Still want to help the baby, Yoshi? Then let's see if you can beat the Fang boss!) - Kamek's quote in World 2-8 of Yoshi's New Island
|Characters||Count Fang • Sir Swoop • Wings of Night|
|Species||Bat (Super Mario Galaxy) • Fang • Glad Fang • Ice bat • Monty Mole Swooper • Paper Swoop • Slave Basa • Swampire • Swoop • Swoopula|
|Yoshi Touch & Go|
|Characters||Baby Luigi • Baby Mario • Kamek • Stork • Yoshis|
|Items||Blue Coin • Bubble • Fruit (Apple • Banana • Grape • Melon • Watermelon) • Red Coin • Yellow Coin • Yoshi's Egg|
|Enemies||Brier • Cheep Cheep • Cloud Drop • Fang • Fly Guy • Goonie • Gusty • Kamek's Toadies • Lakitu • Marucchi • Monty Mole • Piranha Plant • Propeller Mūcho • Shy Guy • Spiny Cheep-Cheep • Tap-Tap • Toady • Ukiki • Whirly Fly Guy • Wild Ptooie Piranha|
|Other||Gallery • Media • Staff|