|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's Crafted World (2019)|
Egg Plants (also parsed as Egg-Plants or in lowercase) are flowers that are found in the Yoshi franchise. These flowers normally spit out normal Yoshi's Eggs, and they are very common and appear in almost every level in their respective games. They spit out eggs one at a time, but if a Yoshi ground-pounds near one, the plant will either shoot out several at once or start shooting them out more quickly. The Yoshi can also lick the eggs to catch them. Since the Yoshi can carry only six eggs each, the Egg Plant will not produce any more eggs until the Yoshi uses one of them on something.
The Egg Plant's name comes from "eggplant," a type of fruit. It also shares its name with a type of nightshade (hence the appearance).
Some Egg Plants known as Sanbo Flowers will spit out Pokey projectiles, but as long as a Yoshi has six eggs, it cannot spit any out. There are four of these plants in the Island Museum. They can be viewed in the botanical enemy exhibit.
In Yoshi's Woolly World and Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World, Egg Plants are knitted and lack eyes, and in replacement for eggs, they shoot out yarn balls of multiple colors. Egg Plants appear less frequently in the game, with only a few appearances, including the Bonus Game. The variation that spits out Pokey balls is absent due to the fact that they were replaced by Pokey Poms.
Profiles and statistics
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Official Nintendo Player's Guide: Growing in all sorts of odd places, these blow eggs into the air at random. Yoshi can grab the eggs with this tongue.
Names in other languages
- Williams, Drew. Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 Player's Guide. Page 12.
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 128.
- Williams, Drew. Yoshi's Island DS Player's Guide. Page 144. "Egg plants will provide you with ammo, and you’ll need plenty of it to carve your way through the stone."
- TCRF. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island § Unused Sprites. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved August 26, 2018.
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 5.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 17.