Roger the Potted Ghost
- Not to be confused with Potted Ghost.
- "Roger" redirects here. For information about the parrot character from the Donkey Kong Country TV series, see Polly Roger.
|Roger the Potted Ghost|
Roger the Potted Ghost
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (spirit cameo) (2018)|
Roger the Potted Ghost, or simply The Potted Ghost or Potted Ghost, is the second boss of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. He is located in The Potted Ghost's Castle, the castle of World 2. Roger starts out as a lifeless pot, but is transformed by Kamek's magic into a large ghost when the player enters the boss room. He is the only inanimate object that Kamek transforms into a boss. His face is the same as those of Dangling Ghosts and Caged Ghosts, and like them, he is amorphous.
To defeat him, Blue Yoshi has to push Roger and his pot over the right edge of the platform in the same manner as pushing a regular pot. This process is complicated by two green Shy-Guys that slowly push Roger in the opposite direction. Throughout the battle, Roger can lunge at Blue Yoshi, knocking him away. He also breathes blue flames which home in, forcing Blue Yoshi to stop pushing and get out of the way to avoid taking a hit. When Roger is pushed far enough, the Shy-Guys topple over the edge and do not return, allowing Blue Yoshi to push him the final distance without facing resistance from them.
In Yoshi's Island DS, he makes a cameo in the game's introduction, which briefly shows some of the bosses from Yoshi's Island. Additionally, there are enemies called Potted Ghosts. They look vaguely similar to Roger, but are smaller and less malevolent.
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Roger the Potted Ghost appears as a support spirit which grants resistance against strong winds. It is obtainable by winning his spirit battle or summoning it with the spirits of Shy Guy and Boo Mario.
Profiles and statistics
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: つぼから煙のように現れる。ヨッシーをはじきとばしたり、青い炎を吐いたりするが、つぼから出られないのが悲しいサガ。 (It appears like smoke from a pot. It can repel Yoshi and spit blue flames, but it is a sad fact that it cannot get out of its pot.)
- Official Nintendo Player's Guide: Spirits like Bigger Boo and Roger haunt the forts and castles, clinging to rugged mountainsides in World 2. Roger looks mean and has frightfully bad breath, but isn't exactly fast on his feet. In fact, he has no feet. He has to rely on two Shy-Guys to push him around. Since he didn't let them go out for Trick-or-Treat last year, their team spirit is low.
- Super Power Club Cards bio:
- Description: Aladdin would never rub this pot, because the genie inside has has a mean streak a mile wide! He doesn't get around much--his only means of transportation is two Shy Guys.
- Favorite Saying: "Faster, you fools, faster!"
- How to Beat Him: Push him until he falls off the edge to the right. Avoid the blue fireballs he shoots at you. Keep pushing, because the little Shy Guys are keeping up the pressure, too!
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: ワールド2-8のボス。ツボからけむりのように現れ、ヨッシーをはじき飛ばそうとしたり、青い炎で攻擊する。ツボを押して、足場から落としてしまおう。 (The boss of World 2-8. It appears like smoke from a pot, tries to knock Yoshi away, and attacks with blue flames. Push the pot to drop him from the platform.)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate spirit
|Name||Image||Game||Type||Class||Effect||How to obtain||Spirit battle|
|Roger the Potted Ghost||Yoshi Series||Support (1)||Advanced||Strong-Wind Resist||World of Light (Light Realm); Summoned with a Shy Guy and Boo Mario core||Giant Wii Fit Trainer (♂), Meta Knight ×2||Rule: Hard to Launch; Jump Power ↓
Hazard: High Gravity
|Dracula's Castle (Ω)||Yoshi's Island (Brawl)|
Names in other languages
Tán zhōng Yōulíng
|Ghost in jar|
|German||Nebulo||From "nebel" (mist)|
|Italian||Fantasma Invasato||Crazy Ghost, but also a pun on "vaso" (vase)|
|Spanish||Fantasbote||From "fantasma" (ghost) and "bote" (pot)|
- The blue flames Roger shoots are based on the hitodama, a phantasmagoric phenomenon in the Japanese folklore which is said to be the souls of the dead.
- Some stones are seen when Roger is pushed off the platform, implying that he falls through the floor.
- Nintendo Magazine System (UK) issue 42, page 70.
- Nintendo Magazine System (UK) issue 40, page 21.
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 9.
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 17.
- Super Power Club Cards Yoshi's Island
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 17.