Burt the Bashful
|Burt the Bashful|
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (spirit cameo) (2018)|
Burt the Bashful, also spelled Bert the Bashful, is a recurring boss in the Yoshi franchise. He started out as a normal Burt, which Kamek grows to a massive size in the events of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island / Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Burt the Bashful is the first mid-boss seen in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and its remake, where he is found in Burt The Bashful's Fort half-way through World 1. At the end of the fort, Yellow Yoshi encounters a Burt which is enlarged by Kamek, turning it into Burt the Bashful. To defeat him, Yoshi must hit him with eggs six times; with each hit, Burt's pants continue to fall off. When he is defeated, his pants entirely fall off and he turns red, blasts off and eventually implodes.
Yoshi's Island DS
During the introduction of Yoshi's Island DS, Burt the Bashful makes an appearance alongside Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island's castle bosses and Tap-Tap the Red Nose. Additionally, the mid-bosses of World 1, the Big Burt Bros., are based on him.
Yoshi's Woolly World / Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
Burt the Bashful later appears in Yoshi's Woolly World and Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World as the boss of World 1 in Burt the Bashful's Castle. Here, Burt has three phases. First, he jumps as in Yoshi's Island. He occasionally summons two Shy Guys as ammo. To damage Burt, Yoshi must first hit him with a yarn ball to stun him, then unravel his pants at the string. For the second phase, he gets two ball look-alikes, which jump around. During his final phase, he gets a third and fourth ball and summons three Shy Guys. Once Burt is entirely naked, the battle ends. In this game, not including Baby Bowser's second form, Burt the Bashful is the only boss that does not need to be Ground Pounded to be defeated.
Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Smash Bros. series
In volume 14 of the Super Mario-kun, the volume based on Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Burt the Bashful is the first boss Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi encounter. He bounces around, smashing Mario in the process. Yoshi also attacks and ends up failing. An Egg Plant assists them, but the Yoshi Eggs simply bounce off Burt. Finally, Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi grab and pull down Burt's pants, revealing his genitals. Ashamed, he shrinks and starts flying off as a deflated balloon, causing havoc to Mario and Luigi.
Profiles and statistics
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Official Nintendo Player's Guide: The first boss Yoshi encounters is more concerned about his modesty than beating the dinosaur who's entered his fort. Belt bouncing Burt with enough eggs and he'll drop his belt, then turn beet-red with embarrassment before dashing off. Kamek will have to find some tougher opponents if he wants to beat Yoshi.
- Super Power Club Cards bio:
- Description: An amateur dancer who likes to stay home and practice the latest steps.
- Favorite Saying: "Where's the mosh pit?"
- How to Beat Him: This bouncing boss can pound you to a pulp! Stay low in the hole on the floor and shoot your eggs up at an angle. The flower under the floor will provide you with egg ammo. Grab the eggs with your tongue, but watch out for Burt's big feet!
- Shogakukan guide: カメックの魔法で大きくなったドンブリブロス。体型のせいか、タマゴを当てるとパンツがどんどんずり下がる。 (A Burt, made gigantic by Kamek's magic. Because of his body shape, his pants keep slipping down when he is hit by an egg.)
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: ワールド1-4のボス。カメックの魔法で大きくなったドンブリブロス。タマゴを当てるとパンツがどんどんずり下がり、6回当てれば倒せる。
(Boss of World 1-4. A Burt, enlarged by Kamek's magic. If you hit him with an egg, his pants will slide down rapidly, and if you hit him six times, you can defeat him.)
Super Smash Bros. series
Super Smash Bros. Brawl sticker
|Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island||[Bite] - Attack +6|
Usable by: Yoshi, Wario, Pokémon Trainer, Wolf
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate spirit
|Name||Image||Game||Type||Class||Effect||How to obtain||Spirit battle|
|Burt the Bashful||Yoshi Series||Primary (2)||Novice||Shield
|Spirit Board||Giant PAC-MAN||
||Super Happy Tree (Ω)||Fortress Boss - Super Mario World|
Names in other languages
|Derived from "大海碗", with meaning big bowl.|
|French||Gros Bélixo||"Gro" meaning "fat", and "Bélixo" being an anagram of "Obelix", in reference to his resemblance to Obelix from the Asterix comics|
|German||Xilebo||"Obelix" spelled backwards, in reference to his resemblance to Obelix from the Asterix comics|
|Italian||Goffry Pallone Gonfiato||Braggart Burt|
|"Burt the Swede", "Swede" being referred to the turnip, which shares its color.|
|Spanish (NOA)||Inflonte el Tímido||Bashful Burt|
Don Inflón (Yoshi's Woolly World)
- Burt's sprites depict him differently from his artwork; notably, he has one curled hair in his sprites, but two drooping hairs in his artwork. Said artwork is reused for the Big Burt Bros., and the same inconsistency applies with them.
- Burt the Bashful makes a cameo appearance in the Nintendo Monopoly.
- Not including Baby Bowser, Burt the Bashful is one of the only two bosses from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island that make an appearance in Yoshi's Woolly World, the other being Naval Piranha.
- Super Mario Advance 3 website, Web Archive
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 16.
- Super Power Club Cards Yoshi's Island
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 8.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 20.