Tap-Tap the Red Nose
|Tap-Tap the Red Nose|
Tap-Tap the Red Nose
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's Island DS (cameo) (2006)|
Tap-Tap the Red Nose is the mid-boss of World 6 in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and its remake. He was originally an ordinary Tap-Tap until Kamek cast a spell on him to make him grow gigantic. He attacks by jumping onto Yellow Yoshi, trying to hit him with his spiky body. In the room where the battle takes place, the floor is made up of rectangular blocks, which can be destroyed by throwing eggs at them. Since Tap-Tap the Red Nose is invulnerable to all of Yoshi's attacks, Yoshi has to defeat him by creating a hole in the floor and pushing him until he falls into the lava below.
Tap-Tap the Red Nose, like all the other bosses of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, makes a cameo appearance in the introduction sequence of Yoshi's Island DS.
Profiles and statistics
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Player's Guide: Miffed that someone else with a red nose got to be a hero on that foggy Christmas Eve, Tap-Tap retreated to a fort carpeted with wall-to-wall lava. Don't be deceived by his grin. This prickly predator would love to give Yoshi a hot bath!
- Super Power Club Cards bio:
- Description: Has nursed a grudge against Yoshis ever since junior high, when they were more popular with girls. Now seeks revenge.
- Favorite Home Deco-Rating Tip: "Lava Lamps and a nice dino rug—I love it!"
- How to Beat Him: Knock out the colored blocks on which he stands by shooting eggs at them. Keep moving, because he'll try to hit you, too.
- Shogakukan guide: タマゴをぶつけても、少し押しもどすくらいがせいぜい。金属質のトゲトゲボディは、溶岩の池に落とすしかない。 (If you hit them with an egg, at most you can push them back a little. The metallic spiky body can only be dropped into a pond of lava.)
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: ワールド6-4のボス。メタリツクなトゲトゲボディは強靭で、溶岩の池に落とすしかない。タマゴで足場をくずして下に落とそう。(Boss of World 6-4. Its metallic spiky body is so tough that the only way is to drop it in a pool of lava. Use an egg to break the platforms and drop him down.)
Names in other languages
|From "big" and「カチカチくん」(Kachikachi-kun, Tap-Tap)|
|French||Gros Bobo||Big Owie|
|German||Stego||Likely from "Stegosaurus"|
|Italian||Grande Piombospino||Big Tap-Tap|
- Tap-Tap the Red Nose may be a pun on Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, as evidenced by his description in the Player's Guide for the SNES version.
- While the Player's Guide for the GBA version implies that Tap-Tap the Golden is a resurrected Tap-Tap the Red Nose, the Player's Guide for the SNES version suggests otherwise, albeit by erroneously stating that Tap-Tap the Golden is located "beneath Red Nose's Fort."
- Tap-Tap the Red Nose is the only boss that Yoshi does not meet by entering a boss door.
- Tap-Tap's battle arena is similarly structured to Breakout, seeing as Yoshi has to break certain parts of the floor with eggs to knock him into the lava.
- After finishing being imbued with Kamek's magic and before he starts to enlarge, Tap-Tap the Red Nose is briefly shown as a normal Tap-Tap with a unique blueish palette. Due to the short amount of time between these and how he is constantly moving during it, it can be difficult to see.
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 19.
- Super Power Club Cards Yoshi's Island
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 9.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 19.
- Williams, Drew. Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 Player's Guide. Page 115. "Golden Opportunity Tap-Tap the Golden is back to torment you. You can run only as fast as the scrolling screen allows. If you run too far to the left, you’ll fall into lava pits."
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 128. "TAP-TAP THE GOLDEN This mega Tap-Tap pursues Yoshi through the lava caves beneath Red Nose's Fort."