Artwork of a Lantern Ghost from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's New Island (2014)|
|Variant of||Shy Guy|
Yoshi's Island series
Lantern Ghosts are enemies in every installment of the Yoshi's Island series. They behave identically to Shy-Guys, as they only walk around and sometimes emerge from pipes. A Yoshi can defeat a Lantern Ghost by either eating it or jumping on it. In Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and its remake, Lantern Guys are enemies commonly encountered in caves, and they appear in the same four color varieties as regular Shy-Guys: grey, green, orange, and brown. In Yoshi's Island DS, Lantern Ghosts are exactly the same as in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, but they instead appear in only three color varieties: white, red, and green. In Yoshi's New Island, only green Lantern Guys appear, and they appear in the levels Lantern Ghost Grotto and Bandit Valley.
Mario Party Advance
- “Ah, yes. Oo! And it's mint! Come on in!”
- —Lantern Ghost, Mario Party Advance
Several Lantern Ghosts appear in the basement of Horror Condo in Mario Party Advance. They are a part of a Toad Force V fan club known as the TFV Fan Club. When approached, the leader introduces himself as Lantern Ghost and says that the club is currently in session. He then asks if the player is a fan of the show. If the player claims that they are a fan, Lantern Ghost says that they don't look like one and asks to show him a Toad Force V figure. When the player fails to produce it, he says to go to the item shop and buy a figure. Once the player returns with a figure, he lets them in and holds onto the figure for them, and as a complimentary reward, gives them the Poochy Pal Gaddget. He proclaims that the player is now a member of the fan club and asks them to spread the word about the show.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: 暗い洞窟の中に住んでいる。カンテラの明かりが見えたら、彼がいる証拠。(He lives in dark caves. If you see the lantern's light, it is proof that he is there.)
- Player's Guide: Better to eat a Lantern Ghost than curse the lack of an egg, eh, Yoshi?
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: 暗いどうくつの中に住んでいる。カンテラの明かりが見えたら、ヤツがいる証拠！(He lives in dark caves. If you see the lantern's light, it is proof that he is there!)
Yoshi's New Island
- Shogakukan guide: 小さなカンテラを持って、地上をゆっくりと歩く。簡単に食べることができるので、タマゴにするのにうってつけだ。(It walks slowly on the ground with a small lantern. They are easy to eat; perfect for turning into eggs.)
Names in other languages
|Compound of "kandelaar" (Dutch for "lantern") and「くん」(kun)|
|From "jack-o-lantern", "fantôme" (ghost), and "lanterne" (lantern)|
From "fantôme" (ghost) and "lamp"
|German||Jack Laterna||From "jack-o-lantern"|
|Italian||Lanterasma||From "lanterna" (lantern) and "fantasma" (ghost)|
|Spanish||Luztasma ||From "luz" (light) and "fantasma" (ghost)|
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 127.
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 6.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 15.
- 「ヨッシー New アイランド 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's New Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 19.
- Super Mario Advance
- Official Nintendo game guide website for Spain.