Grunt (Yoshi's Island series)
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's New Island (2014)|
Grunts are red-colored Bandit-like enemies that have Spiny Shell-like crowns on their heads, and yellow masks that take up the entire head instead of a white mask that only takes up the face, appearing in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 and Yoshi's New Island. In the former two, Grunts are only encountered in Marching Milde's Fort, a bonus arena in Scary Skeleton Goonies! and in Ultimate Castle Challenge. They do not actively seek Yoshi to attack him, instead simply wandering on the platform they are on. However, they can damage Yoshi if they touch him. When hit with an egg, Grunts lose their crowns, resulting in them looking embarrassed and frantically running back and forth, away from the character. A Yoshi can also consume a Grunt and turn it into an egg. If spat out, the Grunt will adopt a curled position and make flips in the air before landing. When a Grunt is spat back out, it will always be wearing a crown.
In Yoshi's New Island, if the player tries to eat one while it has its crown, the Grunt's crown will be removed. The player can no longer swallow one if they eat one, and the Grunt no longer has its crown back when spat out.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: 王冠の先がとがっているので、上からの攻撃はダメ。タマゴを当てて王冠を脱がすと、顔を赤らめるテレ屋さん。 (The tips of the crown are pointy, so attacking from above is no good. When the crown is removed by hitting it with an egg, it blushes with embarrassment.)
- Player's Guide: Throw an egg to relieve these guards of their spiked headgear, then eat them to make new eggs.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: 王冠の先がトゲトゲになっているので、ふむならタマゴを当てて王冠を脱がしておこう。食べるなら王冠がついたままでもOKだ。 (The crown has spiky tips, so if you want to step on it, you should remove the crown by hitting it with an egg. If you want to eat it, you can leave the crown on.)
Yoshi's New Island
- Shogakukan guide: タマゴや伸ばした舌を当てると、トゲつきの王冠がはずれ、ダメージを与えられるようになる。王冠がはずれた状態になると、食べて口に含むことができる。 (When an egg or an extended tongue is applied, the spiked crown can be removed and damage can be inflicted. When the crown is removed, it can then be eaten and put into the mouth.)
Names in other languages
|Japanese||王様 / おうさま
|King, referring to its spiked headgear|
|German||Hallas||Likely derived from Valhalla (the strategy guide describes them as vikings)|
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 127.
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 8.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 14.
- 「ヨッシー New アイランド 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's New Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 18.