A Spray Fish in Yoshi's Island DS
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World (2017)|
Spray Fish are purple fish in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's New Island. They appear in several fortresses and castles, and also appear in the Island Museum. They shoot out a diagonal jet of water that is impossible to go through. To get past them, the player must wait for them to submerge, or shoot an egg at their head. They themselves can hurt Yoshi, but the water merely pushes Yoshi back. As of Yoshi's New Island, they squint while spitting out the water.
Spray Fish are based off the real life archerfish, which prey on insects by shooting them down with water from their mouths. Hot Lips has an identical (though much more dangerous) attack pattern to the Spray Fish.
Wool-based Spray Fish appear in World 5 of Yoshi's Woolly World and Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World. They are made of yarn to match the games' aesthetics, and the water they spray is symbolized as a piece of string.
Yoshi's Island series
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: 強力な水鉄砲を吐き出す。この水鉄砲をくらうと、押されて前へ進めない。タマゴをぶつけると、少しのあいだは現れない。 (It spits out a powerful water spray. When hit by this water spray, you are pushed and cannot move forward. If you hit it with an egg, they it not appear for a short while.)
- Player's Guide: When this blowhard pauses to refill, seize the opportunity to jump past him.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: 強力な水鉄砲の使い手。この水鉄砲にふれてもダメージは受けないが、押されて前に進めない。タマゴを当てると、少しの間現れない。 (A powerful water spray user. If you are hit by this water spray, you will not be damaged, but you will be pushed and will not be able to move forward. If you hit it with an egg, it will not appear for a short while.)
Yoshi's New Island
- Shogakukan guide: 水辺から顔を出し、水鉄砲を放つ。水鉄砲に触れてもダメージは受けないが、水の勢いに押される。水鉄砲を利用して、高所の足場に上ることもできる。(It emerges from the water's edge and unleashes a water cannon. The water cannon does not cause damage when touched, but you are pushed by the force of the water. The water cannon can also be used to climb up to high footholds.)
Names in other languages
|French||Crach'eau||From "crache" (spit) and "eau" (water)|
|Italian||Pesce Spruzz||Spray Fish|
|Spanish||Pezpersor||Portmanteau of "pez" (fish) and "aspersor" (sprinkler)|
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 128.
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 6.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 17.
- 「ヨッシー New アイランド 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's New Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 21.