Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
|It has been requested that at least one audio and/or video file related to this article be uploaded.|
Please upload all related music, sound effects, voice clips, or any videos for this article. See the help page for information on how to get started.
|Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World|
North American box art
For alternate box art, see the game's gallery.
|Release date|| January 19, 2017 |
January 19, 2017
January 19, 2017
February 3, 2017
February 3, 2017
February 4, 2017
March 4, 2017
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World is a platformer game in the Yoshi franchise for the Nintendo 3DS. It is a port of Yoshi's Woolly World, which was released for the Wii U in 2015. The game includes the entirety of the original game's levels, along with a bonus mode called Poochy Dash in which the player controls Poochy and tries to collect as many Beads as possible. It also introduces Poochy Pups, who assist the player in discovering secrets when playing in the easier Mellow Mode, Yoshi Theater, which features 31 Yoshi stop-motion videos, and the ability to design custom patterns for Yarn Yoshi. The game uses up 974.125 MB (7,793 blocks) of free space on the SD Card, if players purchase and download the game off the eShop.
Changes and new features
- This port features more extensive amiibo support than the Wii U version. Like the Wii U version, various amiibo can be scanned to give Yoshi patterns based on those characters, but several newer amiibo now have their own patterns of Yoshi as well.
- The game now has alternate costumes for: Princess Daisy, Waluigi, Boo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, Corrin, Waddle Dee, Wolf Link, Callie, Marie, and all Animal Crossing amiibo figures. All of them give a generic design in the Wii U version.
- Similar to the Japanese and international color variations of the R.O.B. amiibo in the original game, the game also recognizes the Splatoon recolor variants of the Inkling amiibo and Super Mario-line Wario amiibo as a specific amiibo as well. This does not apply to the female Corrin amiibo, however.
- The game does not recognize the Cloud or Bayonetta amiibo as specific amiibo, despite doing so for the Corrin amiibo.
- A Yarn Poochy amiibo was released alongside the game; tapping it during a Yoshi level will put Poochy in the level for Yoshi to ride, while tapping it in one of the bonus Poochy stages will enable them to be played in Time Attack mode. If these Time Attack stages are completed, exclusive Poochy designs will be unlocked.
- If a Smiley Flower is collected at the end of a stage, instead of playing a Bonus Game, a Gold Rush for Poochy Dash is unlocked where Poochy can collect Beads from a Gold Lakitu.
- There is no longer a results screen with Yoshi looking at it, due to the collectibles being shown on the touch screen.
- A Yarn Yoshi amiibo can be used to store a custom Yoshi pattern and transfer it to another copy of the 3DS game.
- Stamp Patches have been removed from this version due to hardware limitations, and are replaced with Pencil Patches.
- The worlds and levels are on a straight linear path going left and right (akin to Super Mario 3D Land) instead of being connected through fully controllable hub worlds (like Super Mario 3D World).
- The player needs to press instead of to play with a Yoshi.
- The game progress is shown and hidden with and instead of being shown when the player stays still for 10 seconds.
- The game features enhanced performance on New Nintendo 3DS systems, running at 60 frames per second (like the Wii U version) compared to 30 frames per second on standard 3DS or 2DS systems.
- The Shell Patch enemy is added to the Scrapbook Theater's enemy list.
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World, similarly to the original Wii U game, has received generally positive reviews. On review aggregate site Metacritic, it averages 77% based on 56 reviews. On GameRankings, it has the similar rank of 77.04%, based on 25 reviews.
|Nintendo 3DS||Daniel Krupa, IGN||7.1/10||"Poochy & Yoshi’s Woolly World remains one of the cutest games around. Even though most of the tactile charm of the Wii U original has been lost to the 3DS’s technical limitations, there’s still plenty of fun to be uncovered in this colourful and often inventive platformer. Incidentally, it also brings some of the happiest, catchiest music ever to the 3DS. Yoshi’s faithful Poochy is loveable new addition, but he feels underused; he appears only in a handful of animated shorts, a sparse challenge mode, and as little more than a series of assists in the super-easy ‘Mellow’ mode. He definitely makes tracking down all of the numerous collectibles more enjoyable, but it’s a shame this instantly likeable character doesn’t have more to do that’s unique to his skills."|
|Nintendo 3DS||Kallie Plagge, GameSpot||7/10||"Though the gulf between two very different difficulties is not fully fixed by its additions, from the updated Mellow Mode to the extra Poochy levels, Poochy and Yoshi’s Woolly World gives you what you put in--it can either be almost frustratingly hard for a determined collector or a good fit for someone who’s just looking for a fun, relaxing few hours of platforming."|
|Nintendo 3DS||CJ Andriessen, Destructoid||7/10||"Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World is as fun on the 3DS as the original is on the Wii U. The levels are just as crafty as before, the visuals take a slight hit but are still colorful and creative, and the soundtrack is so gosh darn charming. It's the best Yoshi game on the 3DS, and if you don't already own it on the Wii U, I would suggest picking it up."|
|Compiler||Platform / Score|
Awards and acknowledgements
Nintendo eShop description
- NA Version
Discover a handicraft world bursting at the seams with creativity, as you guide Yarn Yoshi™ or Yarn Poochy through clever side-scrolling stages. Unravel secrets, toss yarn to weave platforms, and power up with woolly transformations.
All stages from the Wii U version are joined by new ones starring Poochy and more 3DS exclusive features! It's a mad dash for beads in the new Poochy stages: dodge stumps, mush down snowy paths, chase Lakitu, and unearth hidden paths and items. Sniffing out secrets is always a charm in Mellow Mode, thanks to the curious Poochy Pups.
As you find collectables, you'll unlock rewards, from extra stages to new Patterned Yoshi. You can also design and play as your very own Yarn Yoshi, or share it with friends via the StreetPass function! When you want a break from exploring, peek into the lives of Yarn Poochy and Yarn Yoshi in 30 hilarious stop-motion shorts. It's time to get crafty!
- EU Version
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World is an adventure game set in a world of yarn.
This game contains some new features, as well as every stage available in the Wii U version of Yoshi's Woolly World. There are exclusive new stages focused on Poochy. Time Poochy's jump to collect beads as you head for the goal. Poochy Pups also appear for the first time. These little helpers jump on suspicious spots to indicate where you should look for secrets and collectables.
In Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World you can also design your own Yoshi patterns and use them in-game! What will your Yoshi look like?
- For this subject's image gallery, see Gallery:Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World.
- Main article: List of Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World staff
Names in other languages
|Japanese||ポチと！ ヨッシー ウールワールド
Pochi to! Yosshī ūru wārudo
|With Poochy! Yoshi Wool World|
|Korean||포치와! 요시 울리 월드
Pochi wa! Yosi ulli woldeu
|With Poochy! Yoshi Woolly World|
- Nintendo of Korea. (January 20, 2017). Nintendo 3DS software lineup announcement. Nintendo. Retrieved January 20, 2017.
- Awards - The Game Awards 2017. The Game Awards. Retrieved December 10, 2017.
- Nintendo. (September 2, 2016). あみぐるみのヨッシーとポチが、ニンテンドー3DSでも大冒険！. Nintendo. Retrieved September 2, 2016.
- This article is a stub. You can help the Super Mario Wiki by .