Burts from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's Crafted World (2019)|
Burts, also known as Burt Jr.'s or Burt Brothers (alternatively Burt Bros.), are round, peach-colored enemies with large red noses and blue and white striped pants that go up above their hands.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island / Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Burts debut in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and return in Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3; they attack in pairs. After jumping on its partner, a Burt will get a big boost, and the same goes for a Yoshi if it jumps on a Burt. If one was defeated, the other would jump non-stop, but if one falls into a pit or lava, the other will be motionless forever. If defeated, they will give two stars or three coins. They cannot be eaten, nor can they be defeated when jumped on, but they can be disposed with an egg or a ground pound.
Sprites found in the source assets of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island prototypes include a smiling, nightcap-wearing creature otherwise closely resembling Burts, but appears to walk normally.
Yoshi's Island DS
Yoshi's Woolly World / Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
Yoshi's Crafted World
Though no normal Burts appear in Yoshi's Crafted World, a new inner-tube variant called Beach Burts were introduced. A notable Beach Burt named Burt the Ball acts as the boss in Chilly-Hot Isles and guards the yellow Dream Gem.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: 2匹ひと組で、ピョンピョンはねまわる。ジャンプ力はバツグン。 (The two of them jump around in pairs. Their jumping ability is outstanding.)
- Player's Guide: Follow the bouncing Burt! Give up? Then throw an egg at him and he'll cough up three stars.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: 2匹ひと組で、ピョンピョンはねまわる。ふみつけてもつぶれるだけで倒すことはできないが、タマゴやヒップドロップなどで倒せばスターを3つ出す。 (They are a pair of two, and they hop around. They cannot be defeated by stepping on them, but they will produce three Stars if they are defeated by an egg or a Hip Drop.)
Names in other languages
|French||Bélixo||Anagram of "Obélix", whom the Burts resemble|
|German||Xilebo||Backwards spelling of Obelix|
|Italian||Goffry||Likely from "goffo" (clumsy) or diminutive of the Italian name "Goffredo"|
|Spanish||Inflón||From "inflar" (inflate) with augmentative suffix "-ón"|
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 126.
- Nintendo Magazine System (UK) #41, page 69. "Drop down the first gap to get the flower and face two Burt Jr’s."
- Williams, Drew. Yoshi's Island DS Player's Guide. Page 20.
- Black, Fletcher. Yoshi's Island DS PRIMA Official Game Guide. Pages 40, 42.
- Twitter post showing early Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island tiles. Retrieved July 25, 2020.
- 「任天堂公式ガイドブック スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド」 (Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook - Super Mario: Yossy Island), page 6.
- 「任天堂公式ガイドブック スーパーマリオアドバンス3」 (Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook - Super Mario Advance 3), page 18.
- 「任天堂公式ガイドブック スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド」 (Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook - Super Mario: Yossy Island), page 44.
- Omoide Theater, Yoshi's Wooly World
- "거대덮밥의 성" (Burt the Bashful's Castle) - Level 1-8 of Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World