Tap-Tap the Golden
|Tap-Tap the Golden|
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's New Island (2014)|
Tap-Tap the Golden, as its name implies, is a large golden invulnerable Tap-Tap found in the third door of King Bowser's Castle in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. The screen slowly moves through a lava-filled cave as Tap-Tap the Golden chases after Yoshi. It can be knocked into the bottomless pits, but it will only respawn seconds later. Knocking it onto the edge of a platform will make it teeter as it tries to maintain its balance, but knocking it off of the screen is the best option, and several Fangs are around to supply Yoshi with eggs for repetition of this strategy. It is worth noting that Tap-Tap the Golden will actually jump over Yoshi if he gets too close, instead of attempting actual harm. While normally invulnerable, Tap-Tap the Golden can be defeated through hacking it into a certain type of lava.
Tap-Tap the Golden reappears in Yoshi's New Island in Bowser's Castle Break-In. This time, Yoshi must throw eggs at it not merely to defend himself, but to get to keys located behind it. Instead of the large, open area full of platforms, it is found in a hall not much taller than it.
Yoshi's Island series
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: カチカチと大きな音を立てて追いかけてくる。タマゴをぶつけて足止めしよう。 (It chases after you with a loud clicking noise. Try to stall it by hitting it with an egg.)
- Player's Guide: This mega Tap-Tap pursues Yoshi through the lava caves beneath Red Nose's Fort.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: 強制スクロールするステージで、後ろから追いかけてくる。タマゴをぶつけると後ろに転がるので、たまにタマゴをぶつけながら逃げよう。 (In a forced-scrolling stage, it chases after you from behind. If you hit it with an egg, it will roll backward, so try to escape while hitting it with an egg from time to time.)
Yoshi's New Island
- Shogakukan guide: 通路をふさぐように出現する、大きなサイズのカチカチくん。倒すことはできないが、タマゴを当てると後ろに転がる。後方に追いやって進路を確保しよう。 (A gigantic Tap-Tap appears to block the passageway. You cannot defeat him, but if you hit him with eggs, he will roll backwards. You can clear a path by driving him back.)
Names in other languages
Biggu Kachikachi Supesharu
|Big Tap-Tap Special|
- In the original SNES version of the game, the music that plays when being chased by Tap-Tap the Golden is "Big Boss", whereas the GBA release uses "Room Before the Boss" instead.
- While the Player's Guide for the GBA version implies that Tap-Tap the Golden is a resurrected Tap-Tap the Red Nose, the Player's Guide for the SNES version suggests otherwise, albeit by erroneously stating that Tap-Tap the Golden is located "beneath Red Nose's Fort."
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 128. "TAP-TAP THE GOLDEN This mega Tap-Tap pursues Yoshi through the lava caves beneath Red Nose's Fort."
- Williams, Drew. Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 Player's Guide. Page 115. "Golden Opportunity Tap-Tap the Golden is back to torment you. You can run only as fast as the scrolling screen allows. If you run too far to the left, you’ll fall into lava pits."
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 6.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 20.
- 「ヨッシー New アイランド 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's New Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 23.