A Blindfold Boo in Yoshi's Story
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Super Princess Peach (2005)|
- “Walk softly around this ghost. He won't find you if you're quiet.”
- —Message Block in the Ghost Castle, Yoshi's Story
A Blindfold Boo, also known as a Blindfolded Boo or Boo Man Bluff, is a species of Boo encountered in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (and its reissue), Yoshi's Story, and Super Princess Peach. As their name suggests, these Boos are blindfolded. They were originally depicted as mid-sized peach-colored Boos with green mouths, but they were depicted as normal-sized white Boos with pink mouths in later appearances. Since it cannot see, a Blindfold Boo relies on sound to guide it. When it hears a sound, such as a Yoshi gathering coins, it will home in on the sound. In Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, only one is found in Bigger Boo's Fort, while in the reissue, some are found in Endless World of Yoshis.
In Yoshi's Story, Blindfold Boos were redesigned to have light-blue blindfolds, rather than black, and have large pink ears rather than arms. They appear only in the Ghost Castle, and they act just as they do in their first appearance. Much like in the previous game, they are invulnerable to attacks, and when pursuing a Yoshi, they can move faster than a Yoshi can run.
In Super Princess Peach, the Blindfold Boos' appearance was changed once again to closer resemble their original sprite, but they come only as an advancing swarm wall this time. If Peach is hit by the swarm, she will have to go back to the start of the room she is in. The chase ends when the princess leads them into light, causing them to vanish. They first appear in Shriek Mansion. Fast versions are introduced in Bowser's Villa, and they can be outrun only through use of the Gloom vibe. Like Beach Koopas, blue Podoboos, and Security Thwomps, they do not appear in the in-game glossary.
Yoshi's Island series
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: 目が見えないから、むかい合っても動じない。 (Because they are blind, they do not move when confronted.)
- Player's Guide: Another Boo who goes bump in the night in Bigger Boo's Castle. Found near the Blue Boos.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: めかくしをしているが、ヨッシーのジャンプやヒップドロップの音に反応する。ヨッシーと目が合う心配がないので、向かい合っていても近づいてくるぞ。 (He is wearing a blindfold, but reacts to the sound of Yoshi's jumps and Hip Drops. You don't have to worry about eye contact with Yoshi, he will approach you even if you are facing him.)
- Shogakukan guide: 目隠しされて耳がダンボ。気づかれないように、めき足、さし足。 (Blindfolded with Dumbo ears. To not let them notice you, take stealthy footsteps.)
- Nintendo 64 Spieleberater: Wer nix sieht, der kann mir auch nicht gefährlich werden... Aber nur wenn ich nichts mache und warte, bis er weg schwebt!  (The one who doesn't see anything can't be dangerous to me... But only if I do nothing and wait until he floats away!)
Names in other languages
|German||Gruft Buu (Yoshi's Island)
Blinde-Buu (Yoshi's Story)
Blind Boo. Pun on the game name Blinde Kuh (blind cow)
|Spanish||Boo Ciego||Blind Boo|
- Boo Man Bluff is named after the tag-related game blind man's bluff, which also involves blindfolds.
- Yoshi's Story official website (Wayback Archive). Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- "Blindfolded Boos: These ghosts are undefeatable and can track you by movement. Walk very slowly and try to avoid their attacks." - Nintendo 64 Game Secrets, 1999 Edition Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 110.
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 126.
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 7.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 23.
- 「ヨッシーストーリー 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's Story Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 7.
- Nintendo 64 Yoshi's Story Spieleberater, page 19.