Cloud N. Candy
|Cloud N. Candy|
Artwork of Cloud N. Candy from Yoshi's Story
|First appearance||Yoshi's Story (1997)|
Cloud N. Candy is a boss in Yoshi's Story, fought at the end of Cloud Cruising. Her name, as well as the character herself, is a pun on "cloud" and "cotton candy." She is a colossal, buoyant, smiling cloud composed of fluffy yellow candy. In order to defeat Cloud N. Candy, a Yoshi has to lick her, which will pick off pieces of her, causing her to shrink until she is fully eaten. Cloud N. Candy jumps during the fight, damaging the player if they touch her, and as she gets smaller, she becomes quicker and more agile. Each time she is licked, the player will recover some health.
Artwork for Cloud N. Candy can be used as a stamp in Mario Artist: Paint Studio.
Profiles and statistics
- Shogakukan guide: 倒せばまんぷく。あまくておいしい雲のわたがし。(If you knock it down, it's a full meal. A sweet and tasty cloud of cotton candy.)
- Nintendo 64 Spieleberater: Eine Süßigkeitswalke, die wir Yoshis einfach zum Fressen gern haben müssen. Zufällig ist das auch die einzige. Möglichkeit, der Süßen klarzumachen, daß wir die Yoshis sind und sie Endgegner, der von uns gefressen wird.  (A candy waif that we Yoshis just have to eat up. Coincidentally, this is also the only. Possibility to make clear to the cutie that we are the Yoshis and she is the final opponent who will be eaten by us.)
Green Yoshi about to battle Cloud N. Candy
Names in other languages
|From「雲」(kumo, cloud) and possibly「綿菓子」(watagashi, cotton candy)|
Japanese onomatopoeia for devouring ravenously
mián huā táng
Cloud N. Candy
- Because of the manner in which Cloud N. Candy is defeated, she is the only boss aside from Baby Bowser who does not shrink and fade away upon being defeated.
- In Nintendo Power materials, Cloud N. Candy is referred to as female; however, in Prima Games materials, Cloud N. Candy is referred to as male.
- 「ヨッシーストーリー 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's Story Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 7.
- Nintendo 64 Yoshi's Story Spieleberater. Page 21.
- Offical French Nintendo Magazine
- Leung, Jason, Terry Munson, and Scott Pelland. Yoshi's Story Player's Guide. Page 72. "Fluffy, white Cloud N. Candy is the sweetest and easiest Midstory Meanie to ever fly these enchanted skies. You can’t use your Ground Pound or eggs on her, but you can chew her up with your tongue. Cloud’s weapon is her bounce attack, but you can foil her plan by taking a bite out of her when she springs into range. You’ll even regain petals on your Smile Meter each time you hit her with your tongue. As you bite Cloud, she’ll shrink and bounce faster and faster. Cloud is hardest to hit when she’s at her smallest size, but if you keep using your tongue, you’ll hit her long before she can get to you."
- Prima Bath. Nintendo 64 Game Secrets, 1999 Edition Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 106. "Tossing eggs or stomping won’t help Yoshi defeat the large cloud boss! Fortunately, he’s pretty tasty, using Yoshi’s tongue, repeatedly lick him down to size and then finish him off. If you get hit, don’t worry too much—you increase your Smile Meter with each successful lick."
- Prima Bath. Ultimate Nintendo 64 Pocket Power Guide, 1999 Edition Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 86. "Tossing eggs or stomping won’t help Yoshi defeat the large cloud boss! Fortunately, he’s pretty tasty. Using Yoshi’s tongue, repeatedly lick him down to size and then finish him off. If you get hit, don’t worry too much—you increase your Smile Meter with each successful lick."