- This article is about the object that appears in Yoshi's Story and Wario Land 4. For the object referred to as a "piston" in the New Super Mario Bros. Wii Prima Games guide, see Skewer § New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
A piston is a machine that first appears in Yoshi's Story. In the Mecha Castle, pistons appear in pairs and try to crush an unsuspecting Yoshi passing between. If a Yoshi is crushed, he is defeated instantly and lost as a result. Not even the Super Happy form can protect the Yoshi from this hazard.
A different-looking type of piston appears in Wario Land 4. If a piston squishes Wario, it transforms him into Flat Wario, allowing him to crawl into small spaces. Pistons do not harm Wario or any enemy in any sort of way. These objects mainly appear in factory levels (such as The Curious Factory) and some pink areas. There is always a Decompressor or a body of water that returns Wario to his normal size and shape.
Pistons return in Super Mario Bros. Wonder as hazardous objects that appear in only one level: Fluff-Puff Peaks Flying Battleship. If Mario is crushed by a piston, he reverts to Small Mario and loses a life immediately after.
- Leung, Jason, Terry Munson, and Scott Pelland. Yoshi's Story Player's Guide. Pages 112 and 114.
- Yoshi's Story official North American website. Nintendo. Retrieved August 15, 2020.
- Nintendo Power Advance V.3, page 57.
- Wessel, Craig. Warioland 4. Page 29.