Artwork of Fat Wario from Wario Land 4
|Item needed||Cake, doughnut, apple|
|Power(s) given||Automatically Ground Pound, defeat enemies by running into them|
|First appearance||Wario Land II (1998)|
|Latest appearance||WarioWare: Touched! (cameo) (2004)|
- “Burp! Grunt! Wheeze! I sweat buckets with every step and I can hardly breathe! How could my slim, gorgeous body get like THIS? I shouldn't have gotten so greedy and eaten all those apples!! I guess you really are what you eat!!”
- —Wario, Wario Land 4 instruction booklet
Fat Wario, also known as Large Wario, is one of Wario's many reactions from the Wario Land series of games. To achieve this state, Wario must eat a cake thrown by a Cook, a doughnut thrown by a Doughnuteer, or an apple thrown by an Appleby or a Ringosukī. This will cause him to swell to immense portions of morbid obesity, allowing him to destroy enemies and certain blocks by simply moving through them, but his jumping abilities are diminished greatly, and he will move waddle slowly, although his regular jumps have the effect of Ground Pounds when he falls. Doughnut blocks are able to be destroyed by falling on them, including after jumping on them. In Wario Land II only, if the player presses up on , Fat Wario’s jump extends to as high as normal Wario’s regular jump. Fat Wario's state can be remedied by walking and/or jumping until it wears off, or falling into water.
Fat Wario makes a brief appearance in Super Mario-kun. Before Wario ground pounds on Cractus, Arewo Shitain-hakase throws an apple to Wario's mouth, turning Wario into Fat Wario. Although Fat Wario lands in the jaws of Cractus, Fat Wario's weight crushes it, defeating it.
Fat Wario makes a cameo appearance in WarioWare: Touched! in the microgame Wanna Slice?. When the player cuts the pizza into eight slices (in the third level difficulty of the microgame), the artwork of Fat Wario from Wario Land II can be seen on the dish.
In real life, the high quantity of fructose in apples is sometimes attributed to causing temporary bloating, which may explain why they are one of the foods that trigger Fat Wario.
Wario Land 4
- Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program digital manual bio: "Press to move and to jump. You can destroy things by jumping into or onto them."
Names in other languages
|Fatten (Wario Land II and Wario Land 3)|
Fat Wario (Wario Land 4)
|French||Gros Wario||Fat Wario|
|German||Dicker Wario||Fat Wario|
|Italian||Wario Grasso||Fat Wario|
|Spanish||Wario Gordo||Fat Wario|
- Wario Land II instruction booklet, page 12.
- Wario Land 4 European instruction booklet, page 21.
- Official American Wario Land II website, Wayback Archive
- Wario Land 3: Fushigi na Orgel Shogakukan guide, page 7.
- Wario Land Advance: Yōki no Otakara Japanese instruction booklet, page 26.
- Official Chinese manual for Wario Land 4, page 31.
- Wario Land II Dutch Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console electronic manual, tab 11: "Aandoeningen".
- Wario Land 4 European instruction booklet, page 61.
- Wario Land 4 European instruction booklet, page 41.
- Wario Land II European instruction booklet, pag. 112
- Wario Land 4 European instruction booklet, page 121.
- Official Wario Land 3 website (Guías Nintendo)
- Wario Land 4 European instruction booklet, page 101.
|Wario Land II|
|Main characters||Wario • Captain Syrup|
|Supporters||Gull • Hen • Owl • Turtle|
|Bosses||Awabō • Big Kamukamu • Bobo • Cave master • Dunk • Ghost • Giant bee • Giant snake • Giant spear man • Mecha Kuri|
|Chapters||Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 2* • Chapter 2** • Chapter 3 • Chapter 3* • Chapter 4 • Final Chapter • Final Chapter* • Final Chapter** • The Really Final Chapter|
|Conditions||Ball • Bouncy Wario • Bubble Wario • Crazy Wario • Fat Wario • Flat Wario • Frozen Wario • Hot Wario • Puffy Wario • Tiny Wario • Zombie Wario|
|Enemies||Bee • Bird • Chūta • Cook • D-Bat • D.D. • Drill • Flame • Gaugau • Ghost • Grunt • Gugi • Inamazu • Kamukamu • Pecan • Penguin • Pirate Goom • Pogo Guy • Punch • Rooster • Tobī • Togemen • Tsuriuo • Utsutsubo • Weight • White puff • Wizard • Yukimaru • Zombie|
|Objects||10 Gold Coin • 100 Coin • Alarm clock • Big Block • Bonfire Block • Brick • Coin • Doughnut block • Enemy Block • Glass Block • Kotsuheri • Lance • Spike • Stove • Switch|