The Vast Plain
The Vast Plain is a location found in Wario Land 3 of the Wario Land series. It is the third of six levels on the north side of the music box world. At first the entrance to The Vast Plain is blocked but it becomes accessible, along with The Peaceful Village, after Wario finds the Axe from Out of the Woods and cuts down the tree.
The starting point of The Vast Plain is a prairie-like environment, with grass growing along the way and mountains in the background. Several holes in the ground lead to small underground caves. A door that can only be passed by Invisible Wario is located in the middle of the plains. Aside from the ground level, Wario can also explore the sky and, later, the underground. The sky above the plain is the habitat of two invulnerable enemies. At daytime, he can find the sun here, who tries to set him on fire. If he comes here at night, he faces Mr. Moon who shoots stunning stars at him. Below the plains lie a vast cavern lit by eerily burning torches. The place is also filled with seeing-eye doors and zombies. There are also some smaller caves; one filled with Omodonmeka, one filled with Pneumos, and another one filled with water.
- Mad Scienstein
- Sun (day only)
- Mr. Moon (night only)
- Seeing-eye door
- Wario must complete a golf minigame and become Puffy Wario, flying upward and to the right.
- One is located above the second vine.
- One is located underwater in the bubble room.
- Wario must use the provided Omodonmeka to collect the coin above.
- Wario must become invisible and drop down to the room featuring a grey pipe. The coin can be found to the right.
- As Zombie Wario, Wario must head left through the spikes to find this hidden coin.
- This coin can be found in the skies, on a high platform before the golf game.
- Wario must Zombie Wario while invisible to drop through a thin floor and collect this coin.
Gray Chest: Green Tablet
The Green Tablet can be found inside the Gray Chest, which is located all the way across The Vast Plain. To open it, Wario has to find the Gray Key, which is conveniently placed directly next to the chest. However, a seeing-eye door separates the chest from the key, so Wario needs to be invisible to reach the key.
After finding this and the Blue Tablet hidden in The Peaceful Village, a cutscene commences. The two fragments fly to the gate at the foot of a hill on the world map and form a completed tablet. This stone tablet then fits into the keyhole of the gate, which opens it. The gate then disappears, and Wario is allowed to access the Desert Ruins on the west side of the world.
Red Chest: Crayon (blue)
The Crayon can be found within the Red Chest inside the underground cave filled with Pneumos. The player gets a chance to obtain it after equipping Wario with the Lead Overalls from The Volcano's Base. With his new Ground Pound move he can move the Futamogu at the starting point of the level to uncover a Warp Pipe leading to this cave. The Red Chest and its key are located in the cave and Wario has to make use of his Puffy Wario ability, as well as play a game of golf, to reach both of them.
Once the crayon has been collected, it flies to the tower on the north side of the world. The scene is initially monochrome, but gains another color for each crayon Wario manages to find. There are seven crayons in total hidden throughout the game, and once Wario finds all of them, he will be able to play the golf mini-game there at any time the player desires. The blue crayon colors the bushes that surround the building.
Green Chest: Skull Ring (red)
The Skull Ring is located in the Green Chest in the sky above The Vast Plain. Wario can obtain it after he collects the Magic Seeds from The Big Bridge, which will cause vines to grow all over the place. One of the vines will take him to the cave that leads to the sky. There he has to evade the attacks of the sun and Mr. Moon, while collecting the Green Key and playing another game of golf.
The red and blue Skull Rings from The Vast Plain and The Pool of Rain, respectively, play a key role in accessing the Tower of Revival. Together they are able to summon the tower and cause it to rise from the ground. After Wario puts on both rings and clicks them together, the tower appears on the south side of the world.
Blue Chest: Red Gem
The Red Gem becomes obtainable after Wario finds the two colored chemicals from The Steep Canyon and Beneath the Waves. Together they move the block which covers the entrance to the cave lit by torches. The cave holds both the Blue Chest as well as its key. The many security doors in the cave must be overcome with Mad Scienstein's invisibility potion. Using this and the zombie reaction, Wario will eventually find himself in a room filled with invisible platforms, where he can find the chest he is looking for.
Collecting the Red Gem does not affect the world in any way.
Reaction abilities in this level
- Ball o' String Wario (via Silky)
- Bubble Wario
- Electric Wario (via Mr. Moon, night only)
- Flat Wario (via Omodon)
- Hot Wario (via sun, day only)
- Invisible Wario (via Mad Scienstein)
- Zombie Wario (via zombie)
Names in other languages
Kōdai na Heigen
|The Vast Plain|
- There is a graphical glitch in the room where the Green Chest is held. When Wario is on the right edge of the platform the Silkies are on, part of Wario's body disappears. This glitch only works when there are two Silkies on the platform.
- Brady, Matthew K., Nathan Beittenmiller, Debra McBride, and David Cassady. Game Boy Game Secrets, 2001 Edition Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 89.
- Brady, Matthew K., Nathan Beittenmiller, Debra McBride, and David Cassady. Game Boy Game Secrets, 2001 Edition Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 91.