- This article is about the ball-throwing enemies from Wario Land II. For the penguins found in the Super Mario franchise, see penguin.
- Not to be confused with Penpen.
Penguins are enemies found in Wario Land II, where they are members of the Black Sugar Gang. They look like bipedal penguins with a menacing beak and a bandanna tied around their head. In the English version of the game, they carry large black balls with handles (also called "insanity bombs"), which they will throw at Wario if he gets in range. If the ball hits Wario, he will become dizzy and controlling him will become much harder. Penguins mostly appear in areas with small platforms and many opportunities to fall down a pit. There is also always a body of water near them which can be used to cure the status ailments they evoke.
In the Japanese version of Wario Land II, penguins carry around beer mugs instead of balls. When they notice Wario, they intoxicate him by splashing alcohol on his face. The beer mugs were most likely removed to censor any reference to alcohol consumption. Despite this, a penguin holding a beer mug can be seen in a screenshot in Prima Games guides.
Names in other languages
|Partial repetition of "penguin"; shared with an enemy from Game Boy Donkey Kong|
- Nintendo Power Volume 106, page 65. "Wario battles penguins with insanity bombs, little fire-breathing dragons and plenty of obstacles in the woods. Luckily, it’s a short trip and you’ll soon be aboard the S.S. Tea Cup."
- Official American Wario Land II website (Internet Archive)
- E-mail response from Nintendo of America
- Campbell, Stuart. Game Boy Game Secrets, 1999 Edition Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 11.
- Brady, Matthew K., Nathan Beittenmiller, Debra McBride, and David Cassady. Game Boy Game Secrets, 2001 Edition Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 87.
- Wario Land 2: Nusumareta Zaihō Shogakukan guide, page 102.
|Wario Land II|
|Main characters||Wario • Captain Syrup|
|Supporters||Gull • Hen • Owl • Turtle|
|Bosses||Awabō • Big Kamukamu • Bobo • Cave master • Dunk • Ghost • Giant bee • Giant snake • Giant spear man • Mecha Kuri|
|Chapters||Chapter 1 • Chapter 2 • Chapter 2* • Chapter 2** • Chapter 3 • Chapter 3* • Chapter 4 • Final Chapter • Final Chapter* • Final Chapter** • The Really Final Chapter|
|Conditions||Ball • Bouncy Wario • Bubble Wario • Crazy Wario • Fat Wario • Flat Wario • Frozen Wario • Hot Wario • Puffy Wario • Tiny Wario • Zombie Wario|
|Enemies||Bee • Bird • Chūta • Cook • D-Bat • D.D. • Drill • Flame • Gaugau • Ghost • Grunt • Gugi • Inamazu • Kamukamu • Pecan • Penguin • Pirate Goom • Pogo Guy • Punch • Rooster • Tobī • Togemen • Tsuriuo • Utsutsubo • Weight • White puff • Wizard • Yukimaru • Zombie|
|Objects||10 Gold Coin • 100 Coin • Alarm clock • Big Block • Bonfire Block • Brick • Coin • Doughnut block • Enemy Block • Glass Block • Kotsuheri • Lance • Spike • Stove • Switch|