|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's New Island (2014)|
Spiked weights, also referred to as Chain Gates, spiked traps, or spike traps, are large spiky logs on chains appearing in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and its reissue. They typically appear in castles and forts. At the top of a spiked weight is a wooden wheel with a question mark on it. If a Yoshi hits the pulley with an egg, the gate will rise, allowing the Yoshi to pass under the barrier. Spiked weights cannot be destroyed.
In Yoshi's Story, similar spikeless obstacles appear. Rather than spinning a wheel, they are cranked up by using a swing; specifically, every swing towards the gate winds it up a small amount, after which it slowly descends. They appear only in the Mecha Castle, where there are two, one being the stage's first obstacle.
Names in other languages
- In a prototype build of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, the spiky log of a Chain Gate was originally a shelled enemy with spikes and nails on it.
- Williams, Drew. Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 Player's Guide. Page 50.
- Williams, Drew. Yoshi's Island DS Player's Guide. Page 141.
- Black, Fletcher. Yoshi's Island DS PRIMA Official Game Guide. Page 177.
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 123.
- Black, Fletcher. Yoshi's Island DS PRIMA Official Game Guide. Page 317.
- 「任天堂公式ガイドブック ヨッシーアイランドDS」 (Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook - Yoshi's Island DS), page 258.
- 「任天堂公式ガイドブック ヨッシー New アイランド」 (Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook – Yoshi's New Island), page 102.
- potatoTeto (July 24, 2020). Twitter post featuring gameplay of a Yoshi's Island prototype. Twitter. Retrieved July 24, 2020.