Raphael the Raven
|Raphael the Raven|
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (spirit cameo) (2018)|
Raphael the Raven (also known by the shortened name Raphael Raven) is the leader of the Ravens and first appears as the boss of the fifth world in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Initially, he is an ordinary Raven but is magically enlarged by Kamek to fight the Yoshis. Even after his defeat, he remains huge.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
When Blue Yoshi first meets Raphael, he is an ordinary Raven. However, Kamek appears and magically enhances him, increasing his size and strength. Then, Raphael slams into Blue Yoshi, sending it and Baby Mario flying to a small moon. Additionally, the force of the attack makes the Yoshi lose all its eggs. Raphael then launches himself to the moon and prepares for battle.
Raphael fights by chasing and ramming into Blue Yoshi around the moon to send Baby Mario flying. He also attacks by jumping into the air and slamming the ground, creating shockwaves that circle the moon. The moon's interior is quartered by two Stumps extending its diameter, the ends of which jut out from two points on the surface. Yoshi must Ground Pound one of these while Raphael is on the opposite end to damage him. With each hit, Raphael becomes redder, angrier, and faster. After three successful hits, Blue Yoshi defeats Raphael and Raphael becomes a constellation in the sky. This boss battle is the only instance in which Baby Mario does not cry when he falls off Yoshi's back, but he can still be taken away by the Toadies, possibly referencing the fact that there is no sound in space.
Along with Naval Piranha, they are the only world bosses to use the extended variation of the boss theme.
Raphael's sprite has a star on his belly. However, since the star is always the same palette as his skin, it is never seen in-game.
Raphael The Raven returns in the game Tetris Attack, allied with the Shy-Guys. In this game, Raphael is not considered an enemy. He is also a playable character, replacing the moon fairy Seren from Panel de Pon. He is in the eighth level and is the last character to be saved from Bowser's and Kamek's brainwashing.
Yoshi's Island DS
Although Raphael the Raven does not appear as a boss in Yoshi's Island DS, he still makes a cameo. In the intro, one part shows a group of bosses from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, including Raphael and the others.
Yoshi's New Island
Raphael the Raven reappears in Yoshi's New Island. Instead of being a boss, he is a generic enemy, and acts much like the other Ravens though he is much larger than them; Raphael can be defeated in the same way. He is found in Eggstraordinary Terrain in the area above the beanstalk.
Raphael the Raven reappears in Paper Mario. In this game, Raphael is the leader of a tribe of reformed Ravens that live in peace with the Yoshis of Lavalava Island. He lives in nest in a tree in Jade Jungle and has become a legend to the Yoshis (as no one except the Village Leader can remember actually seeing him). He has the ability to communicate with both Mario and his Ravens and is depicted with a military disposition, commonly ending sentences with "over." Raphael helps Mario by ordering his Ravens to build a pulley contraption to take Mario and his allies to Mt. Lavalava, site of the fifth Star Spirit and the Lava Piranha. He also gives Mario the Ultra Stone, an item that allows Mario's party members to become even more powerful.
Later in the game, he writes a letter to Sushie which the player can read at the Toad Town Post Office. In the letter, he asks whether he can provide help for Sushie, such as helping her climb the tree or cooking things she wants to eat. This letter will only be available during Chapter 8 if Mario wishes to go back to Toad Town from Bowser's Castle.
- "He's Raphael the Raven, the guardian of this jungle. Look at the size of this guy! He's enormous! I bet there's nothing he can't do. Doesn't he seem trustworthy?"
Raphael the Raven makes a cameo in Super Smash Bros. Melee as a trophy. The information states that he is the biggest Raven, although it is Kamek who enlarged him. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, he appears as a Sticker. The Sticker's information states that the artwork is from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island; however, it actually uses the retouched Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 artwork. Raphael also makes an appearance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a Spirit which makes the fighter immune to any tripping effect like the earthquake hazard and the Banana peels.
Profiles and statistics
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Player's Guide: High in the night sky, a small brown globe spins. Guarding it like a hawk is ravenous Raphael, a rotund raptor armed with flame-throwing feet. At this altitude, it's easy to get lightheaded and feel your head spinning, especially with Raphael chasing you all over the planet! If you succeed in beating this bird, though, you just might put a new constellation over Yoshi's Island.
- Super Power Club Cards bio:
- Description: His head may be in the clouds but his eye is strictly on Mario.
- Favorite Movie: The Birds
- How to Beat Him: Pound the ground, pushing the posts through the globe and out the other side, where they'll ram Raphael. You'll have to hop around a lot to keep up with this nervous bird, especially after he goes ballistic and starts shooting fireballs.
- Shogakukan guide: 何があっても、小さな星のまわりから離れない。その場ジャンプをしたら、星を2周も回る波動がやってくるぞ。 (No matter what happens, you never leave the little star's perimeter. If you jump on the spot, you'll get a wave that goes around the star twice.)
- In-game Character profile
Raphael Raven here! Caww!
It's Yoshi - caww! It's Yoshi - caww! Raphael has to - caww! Raphael has to - caww! Play and defeat - caww! Play and defeat - caww! That darn Yoshi! Caww!
- Japanese language selected
(Caww, Raven. Raphael the Raven.)
(Hey, Yoshi! Hey, Yoshi! Raven is! Raven is! Yoshi's gotta go! Yoshi's gotta go! You have to play.)
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: ワールド5-8のボス。何があっても小さな星のまわりからはなれない。真裏に回りこみ、クイにヒップドロップして3回ダメージをあたえよう。(The boss of World 5-8. You can't stay around the little star no matter what. Go right under it and Hip Drop it three times to damage Kui.)
Super Smash Bros. series
Super Smash Bros. Melee trophy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl sticker
|Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island||Launch Resistance +6|
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate spirit
|Name||Image||Game||Type||Class||Effect||How to obtain||Spirit battle|
|Raphael the Raven||Yoshi Series||Support (1)||Advanced||Falling Immunity||World of Light (Light Realm); Spirit Board||Giant King Dedede||
||Mario Galaxy||Yoshi's Island (for 3DS / Wii U)|
List of appearances by date
|Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island||Boss||1995||SNES|
|Tetris Attack||Playable Character||1996||SNES|
|Paper Mario||NPC||2000||Nintendo 64|
|Super Smash Bros. Melee||Trophy||2001||Nintendo GameCube|
|Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3||Boss||2002||GBA|
|Yoshi's Island DS||Cameo in the intro||2006||Nintendo DS|
|Super Smash Bros. Brawl||Sticker||2008||Wii|
|Yoshi's New Island||Enemy||2014||Nintendo 3DS|
|Super Smash Bros. Ultimate||Spirit||2018||Nintendo Switch|
- For this subject's image gallery, see Gallery:Raphael the Raven.
Tetris Attack (Game Boy)
Names in other languages
|Big Q, derived from "小Q" (Xiǎo Q, Raven)|
|French||Mainate Géant||Giant Mynah Bird|
Don Raphael (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Paper Mario)
|Abraxas, a witch's pet raven in the children's book 'The Little Witch', by Otfried Preussler|
|Italian||Gracchio Bombo||Caw Bomb (referring to his black and round appearance)|
|Raphael the Raven|
|Spanish (NOE)||Rafi Raven||From the masculine name Rafael, and Raven.|
- Digga-Leg from Super Mario Galaxy 2 has a similar battle style to Raphael in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Coincidentally, both are fought in space.
- Yoshi's New Island internal filenames (kyutyan_a_big.csv, kyutyan_b_big.csv, kyutyan_c_big.csv, kyutyan_s_big.csv)
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 18.
- Super Power Club Cards Yoshi's Island
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 9.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 20.
- "Paper Mario | Walkthrough Español |Part 18".
|Pals||Yoshi • Lakitu • Bumpty* • Poochy • Flying Wiggler • Froggy • Gargantua Blargg • Lunge Fish • Raphael The Raven|
|Rivals||Hookbill The Koopa • Naval Piranha • Kamek • Bowser|
|Other characters||Mr. Time* • Little Yoshi • Fly Guy • Goonie • Dr. Freezegood • Grinder • Eggo-Dil • Clawdaddy • Flamer Guy • Flopsy Fish • Shy-Guy • Toady|
|Gameplay||Panel • Garbage block • Shock Panel • Shock Block|
|Miscellaneous||Gallery • Media • Quotes • Staff|
|* Exclusive to the SNES version.|