Fuzzy (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island)
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (2002)|
A Fuzzy, also referred to as a Watabo or Puff-Ball, is a floating furry spore-like creature found in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and its reissue. It is the sole member of the enemy group Dudim Phreykunoutonthis.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island / Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
When a Yoshi makes contact with or eats a Fuzzy, it gets dizzy, and the whole level is affected. While in this state, the Yoshi may have a hard time walking and aiming eggs, the music is slowed down and distorted, and it is especially difficult to understand the map well, as the whole background flashes rainbow colors, moves, and twists around; this is especially hazardous in areas with pits. Fuzzies always appear in large groups and hover all over the field. A Yoshi can avoid the dizzy effects by crouching. The instant Fuzzies are eaten by a Yoshi, they make it produce a cloud of gas that can defeat enemies behind it instead of laying an egg.
Fuzzies have their own level named after them: Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy, which is also the first level to feature them. Fuzzies also appear in GO! GO! MARIO!!, Beware The Spinning Logs, and Fight Toadies w/ Toadies (the last of which appears only in the reissue).
The effects of touching Fuzzies may parody the stereotypical visual, mental, and physical effects of popular psychedelic drugs such as LSD or psilocybin mushrooms. This is even referenced in the German translation for "Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy," Lustiges Sporen Drama (German for "Funny Spore Drama").
Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Fuzzies were meant to appear in Mario Kart: Super Circuit, as indicated by sprites appearing in the same code as elements from Sky Garden. With GameShark codes, the player can make them appear on the track.
Profiles and statistics
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: さわったり食べたりすると、毒にやられて景色がグニャグニャに見える。たくさんいるので、手におえない。 (When you touch or eat them, you will be poisoned and the landscape will look squishy. There are so many of them that it is unbearable.)
- Player's Guide: They won't hurt Yoshi, but they'll definitely warp his world! They drift down in droves and are very hard to avoid.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: さわったり食べたりすると景色がグニャグニャになり、操作がむずかしくなる。ちなみに、食べるとオナラが出て、これを敵に当てれば倒せるぞ。 (When touched or eaten, the scenery becomes squishy and it becomes difficult to control. By the way, when you eat, gas comes out, which you can use to hit enemies to defeat them.)
| YI Dudim Phreykunoutonthis Theme - Music that plays while under the effects of a Fuzzy in Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy. Variant of this.||File info|
Names in other languages
|Portmanteau of「綿毛」(watage, fuzz) and「~坊」(-bō, an affectionate suffix for boys)|
|French||Cotonou||Pun on "cotonneux" (fluffy)|
|Italian||Stordino||Diminutive of "stordire" (to make dizzy); also the name of the Super Mario series Fuzzies|
- Nintendo Magazine System (AU) Issue #30. Page 12. "BUMPING INTO THE WRONG GUY Not all creatures on Yoshi’s Island are fatal. These Watabos for example only cause dizziness, leaving Yoshi to stagger about wearing a daft expression."
- Nintendo Magazine System (UK) Issue #43. Page 64. "Go through the Puff-Ball stage quickly there’s[sic] only one flower to collect."
- MarioBrothBlog (June 10, 2021). Video of the effect. Twitter. Retrieved August 19, 2021.
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook). Page 6.
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 127.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook). Page 24.
- Chinese name of Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy, "棉毛球的厉害" (Miánmáoqiú de lìhài)
- German name of Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy, Lustiges Sporen Drama
- Italian name of Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy, Urta Stordino e vai nel pallone