Artwork of Glimmer for Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
|Full name||Glimmer the Angler Fish|
Glimmer the Fish
|First appearance||Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA) (2004)|
- “Glimmer lives in one of the sunken Kremling galleons near Krem Quay. He'll offer his light to show the Kongs the way through one of the darkened underwater levels.”
- —Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest instruction booklet, page 25
Glimmer is an Animal Friend who first appears in Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest. He lives in the sunken ships of Krem Quay and has a lantern on his forehead for navigating the dark areas. Although Glimmer is officially referred to as male, he resembles a female angler fish. Real-world anglerfish exhibit significant sexual dimorphism: male anglerfish are much smaller and do not possess the recognizable luminescent esca. This is a similar case to another aquatic Animal Friend, Orco, who is referred to as male despite resembling a female orca.
In Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Glimmer appears only in his titular level, Glimmer's Galleon. Glimmer steadily follows behind Diddy and Dixie Kong, flashing his lantern for them to see the path ahead. He cannot be harmed by enemies. In the Game Boy Advance version, Glimmer's role is redundant because the game's visuals are bright enough for the Kongs' surroundings to be seen in the level.
Glimmer is absent from the Glimmer's Galleon stage in Donkey Kong Land 2, despite the level still having his name; instead, Glimmer's role was fulfilled by Light Barrels. Glimmer is still shown on the game cover, which is based on promotional artwork for Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest that shows him following behind the Kongs in an underwater setting.
In the Club Nintendo comic adaptation of Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Glimmer makes a minor appearance in one panel to help Diddy and Dixie through the waters of Krem Quay, after the two fall into it while fleeing from a Kloak.
- Instruction booklet (page 25): "Glimmer lives in one of the sunken Kremling galleons near Krem Quay. He'll offer his light to show the Kongs the way through one of the darkened underwater levels."
- Nintendo Player's Guide (page 11): "A newcomer to the ranks of the Kong clan compatriots, Glimmer will point the way through the murkiest waters around Crocodile Isle. His natural flashlight won't illuminate everything around you, but at least you'll be able to see where you're going. Finding the exit to a stage will still be up to you!"
- Instruction booklet (Game Boy Advance version) (page 21): "Glimmer lives in one of the sunken Kremling galleons near Krem Quay. His light will lead the Kongs through a darkened underwater zone."
Names in other languages
- Glimmer may have appeared in the now-canceled Nintendo GameCube game Donkey Kong Racing, as he briefly appears in the trailer, during the scene where Diddy Kong and Tiny Kong race on Enguardes underwater.
- A similar Animal Friend known as the Lightfish appears in Gloomy Galleon in Donkey Kong 64, fulfilling the same role. It uses the name "Glimmer" in Spanish and German.
- Glimmer is not in the list of Animal Friends in the New Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console version's e-manual.
- Donkey Kong Country 2 (Game Boy Advance) instruction booklet, page 21.
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest instruction booklet, page 25.
- Nintendo Magazine System (Australia) issue 47, page 48.