Cat O' 9 Tails
|Cat O' 9 Tails|
Artwork of a Cat O' 9 Tails from Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
|First appearance||Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA) (2004)|
- “This crazy cat is a whirling dervish. It will tangle you up in its many tails and spin you round until it collapses.”
- —Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest instruction booklet, page 31
A Cat O' 9 Tails (also stylized Cat o' 9 tails, Cat-O´-9-Tails, Cat-O’-Nine-Tails, and Cat 'O' Nine Tails) is a rare type of enemy appearing in Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest. Its name is derived from a type of whip (mentioned in-game by Klubba) known as the "cat o' nine tails", possibly also deriving from the well-known saying of cats having "nine lives." It is one of the game's few enemies that does not appear in Donkey Kong Land 2.
Cat O' 9 Tails are uncommon enemies, appearing in only three levels throughout the game: Mudhole Marsh, Screech's Sprint, and Fiery Furnace. If a Cat O' 9 Tails notices Diddy Kong and/or Dixie Kong, it will begin to rapidly twirl and move around, attempting to whip both Kongs with its many tails. They are invulnerable to attack while they spin around, though after a while, they collapse from dizziness. While dazed, the Kongs can defeat the Cat O' 9 Tails by simply jumping on its head or by rolling into it.
If the Kongs are caught by one of the tails as they are spinning around, the Cat O' 9 Tails flings them upwards. While this allows the Kongs to collect out-of-reach items, this may also put them in danger, sending them flying into certain hazards or obstacles.
Names in other languages
Neko no Naintēru
|Cat O' 9 Tails|
|Spanish||Cat O' 9 Tails||-|
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest SNES instruction booklet, page 31.
- Donkey Kong Country 2 GBA instruction booklet, page 24.
- Nintendo Power Volume 79, page 24.
- Nintendo Magazine System (Australia) issue 36, page 20.